cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cleaning a PrecisionHD 1080p

Tom Kalikajaros
Level 1
Level 1

One of our PrecisionHD cameras was invaded by ants.

We have used baits to kill colony and dealt with point of access. Unfortunately the ants have left debris or eggs in optical path or on CCD. The debris or eggs views as blemishes on camera image.

Does anyone know if Cisco in Australia offers camera cleaning?

Alternatively, does anyone know any other company that is qualified to take apart and clean a PrecisionHD camera?

Kindly

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tom,

After watching the video (correct me if i am wrong) ants are alive and moving inside

or something seems to be crawling.

if that is the scenario you can keep the camera in sunlight for some  1- 2 hours ( hard sunlight )  if there are any remain then you can try opening the camera from front.

unfortunatly do not have any take apart document which i can share however after looking at the camera an  refer to my pics the front panels seems to get open by anticlockwise movement using the grooves pic1

back panel can be taken of wilt slide inwards presure all over its circumference on the black lid, and it will be out  pic 5 and 6

u need to use a hex screwdriver kit to open the back panel metal part PIC 5

take precausion of the wire strips connected to the camera specially the front led strip

this is the maximum i can do with my working camera cannot go further as i do not have the toolkit with me and this is not a bad one so a bit cautious .  after doing this much i am pretty sure i can easyly fix the camera issue you have

let me know if that helped you a bit.

Thanks

Ravi Kr.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I don't think Cisco in Australia offers camera cleaning.   And I do not think Cisco has qualified any conmpany to do that.  I think your best option is to try to RMA the camera.

Hi,

I checked. Cisco said no. Shame considering it is a $6K+ camera.

Hi Tom,

I would recommend you to RMA the Camera. Cisco Won't have any issues RMA'ing it.

Just open a TAC Case. If they say no, please take it up with your Cisco Account Manager or Executive.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Well, tried again and Cisco closed door again with response below..

Thank you for contacting Cisco Technical Assistance Center

The Ant issue you are facing is a "Act of God" issue which is a natural disaster or accident that causes damage outside of the normal wear and tear expected on a piece of equipment.And this kind of issue is not covered under Cisco contract or Cisco warranty.So we are unable to open this RMA case for you

To be clear I have said we are fine for camera to be cleaned at our expense. It appears however that Cisco are not interested in tending to anything that is not covered under the terms of maintenance contract or warranty.

So, treat your PrecisionHD as disposals.

vidutta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

Can you upload a pic of this "act of god".

secondly now since RMA option has been closed. I would suggest if ant eggs have not

been layed inside the camera. Take a cotton cloth and   some Ether/spirit and clean the camera ur self.

After cleaning it keep it in sunlight. for few hrs.. 

make sure you do it with gentle hands and do not damage internal pins of ports.

(This is just a personal suggestion which i am sharing which i thought might help ).

Cheers

Morning all,

Happy to clean myself but would like to receive take-apart document. The camera gets quite fiddly very quickly.

Below is short video from a connection to endpoint. Camera was focused out far to blur participants. No audio in the video. The blemishes over the front of house screens in picture remain (either debris or eggs).

*Added movie as attachment.

Hi Tom,

After watching the video (correct me if i am wrong) ants are alive and moving inside

or something seems to be crawling.

if that is the scenario you can keep the camera in sunlight for some  1- 2 hours ( hard sunlight )  if there are any remain then you can try opening the camera from front.

unfortunatly do not have any take apart document which i can share however after looking at the camera an  refer to my pics the front panels seems to get open by anticlockwise movement using the grooves pic1

back panel can be taken of wilt slide inwards presure all over its circumference on the black lid, and it will be out  pic 5 and 6

u need to use a hex screwdriver kit to open the back panel metal part PIC 5

take precausion of the wire strips connected to the camera specially the front led strip

this is the maximum i can do with my working camera cannot go further as i do not have the toolkit with me and this is not a bad one so a bit cautious .  after doing this much i am pretty sure i can easyly fix the camera issue you have

let me know if that helped you a bit.

Thanks

Ravi Kr.

Thanks Ravi,

Ants are already dead thanks to baiting, just the debris (unmoving blotches) remain. The dark blotches are distracting.

Thanks for picture. What awaits after Pic 6 is the fun part. Like you, I want to defer take apart because it is still a working camera and wait until I have exhausted all avenues with Cisco. Just waiting on a response from our supplier's Cisco account manager.

Kindly

Tom

Hi Tom,

I will try if i can dig more on my end for the dismantling, mean while if you have any update i will be waiting.

Thanks

Ravi Kr.

Hi Ravi,

The CCD sits on the circuit board that is under the weighted metal plate in your image above. The metal plate is held by 3x T5 screws. When the metal plate is removed, you can remove and flip over the circuit board. On the flip side of the board is the actual CCD.

The CCD is covered by a small glass plate that sits about 4mm above the CCD. There is a very soft rubber fence around the CCD to limit dust intrusion but it doesn't go all the way to the glass plate. The rubber is quite delicate.

With the naked eye you could see the debris left by ants. There is a close-up image below. To clean we used compressed air. It shifted about 10% only. We then washed with 99.8% isopropyl alcohol (IPA). About 10% debris remained on underside of glass plate. We used a small interdental brush with IPA to clean the underside of glass plate and wash with IPA again (the brush was small enough to go between the gap provided by the soft rubber fence). Compressed air was used to blow out excess IPA and then sit to dry before putting it back together.

Image from cleaned camera can be seen below. Very happy with result.

1. CCD on flip side of board

2. Close up of debris -all the faint blue grey spots

Hi Tom,

you rock, so finally you have fixed the issue.

as i mentioned it was just one daring step to open the camera and all is fine.

was not in a position to open mine as presently we are running in shortage of camera's ,

thank you for sharing the information i could have marked more than five if i would have an option ,

i wanted to share more pics however somehow was restriected with official stuff.

Thanks

Ravi kr.

do mark your question as self answered 

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Tom,

As Vikram mentioned show us the issue by few pictures and try as suggested rest we wil look what can be done further

Thanks
Ravi kr.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: