cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CMS 2.6 - is XMPP component required in new install?

Yorick Petey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Installing a fresh new CMS, I'm reading the deployment documentation of the version 2.6.1 (Deployments with Cisco Expressway X8.11 : Planning and Preparation Guide). I want to deploy a very simple setup and plan to use only the WebRTC client, not the App.

In the current doc, it's said:

"XMPP server optional. [...] XMPP clients include the Cisco Meeting Apps, including the WebRTC Client, the Recorder and the Streamer components. If you are planning to use any of these XMPP clients then you will need to configure and enable the XMPP server. However, Cisco is simplifying the Cisco Meeting Server and Cisco Meeting App interaction, and as a result the app dependence on XMPP will be removed. Once this development is complete, Cisco will remove XMPP from the Cisco Meeting Server product line. Customers are encouraged to start planning the migration to the Cisco Meeting WebRTC app rather than using the Cisco Meeting App thick clients (Windows, Mac and iOS). In parallel, the Recorder and Streamer components will cease to use XMPP to communicate with the Call Bridge."

As I understand, in version 2.6.1, the XMPP is used by both WebRTC and Meeting Apps. So I assume it's still necessary. But the explanation only mentions that the Meeting App will be adapted to remove dependency with the XMPP module. So I'm wondering if it's really necessary when we only use the WebRTC app right now.

If you have more information, it would be very helpful. Thank you very much!

Yorick

1 Reply 1

JeremyL
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, is still required for any WebRTC connections...uses XMPP for authentication.  Does not have to be enabled at the edge though, only in the core.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: