Views
Helpful
Replies

CMS Recording

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the recording feature in CMS. as per the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/conferencing/ciscoMeetingServer/Installation/Cisco-Meeting-Server-Deployment-Planning-and-Preparation-Guide.pdf

Page: 15

The recommended deployment for production usage of the Recorder is to run it on a dedicated VM with a minimum of 4 physical cores and 4GB.

Does it mean that I have to create 2 VMs:

VM01: Call Bridge.

VM02: Call Recording.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Note: At the end of recording a meeting, the recording is automatically converted to MP4. The converted file is suitable for placing within a document storage/distribution system, for example, in a network file system (NFS) they are stored in the NFS folder spaces//spaces/.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/conferencing/ciscoMeetingServer/Deployment_Guide/Version-2-2/Cisco-Meeting-Server-2-2-Single-Combined-Server-Deployment.pdf

If you want to stream those files, then yes, you need vBrick (assuming you want Cisco assistance, if not, other options might be used.)

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, as explained in the guide, using the same VM for Call Bridge and recording, is only for testing environment.

HTH

java

Thank you for your support.

In case I used dedicated VM for recording, can I store the recorded videos on it? Or CMS does not has the option to store the videos? I have to use external storage?

Make sure to carefully read and understand the guide, that information is provided just before the snip you posted...

The Recorder component on the Meeting Server adds the capability of recording meetings and saving the recordings to a document storage such as a network file system (NFS).

The recommended deployment for production usage of the Recorder is to run it on a dedicated VM with a minimum of 4 physical cores and 4GB . In such a deployment, the Recorder should support 2 recordings per physical core, so a maximum of 8 simultaneous recordings. Where possible it is recommended that the Recorder is deployed in the same physical locality as the target file system to ensure low latency and high network bandwidth. It is expected that the NFS is located within a secure network.

The recorder uses variable bit rate, so it is not possible to accurately predict how much storage a recording will take. Our testing has shown that the size of 720p30 recordings ranges between 300MB to 800MB for 1 hour. In terms of budgeting it would be safe to assume 1GB per hour.

HTH

java

Thank you for note.

I have read it carefully, but I did not find what I'm looking for.

The Recorder component on the Meeting Server adds the capability of recording meetings and saving the recordings to a document storage such as a network file system (NFS)

I believe NFS can be used on the same server or external storage. ( I have very bad knowledge in storage )  So that I'm asking if I have to use external storage or on the server itself.

In Collaboration VM placement tool, I used Meeting server recording and streaming VM and the Disk size is only 100 G.

No, you need a dedicated server with NFS to store the recordings.

HTH

java

what about retrieving the recorded meetings?

Do I need to use vBrick?

Note: At the end of recording a meeting, the recording is automatically converted to MP4. The converted file is suitable for placing within a document storage/distribution system, for example, in a network file system (NFS) they are stored in the NFS folder spaces//spaces/.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/conferencing/ciscoMeetingServer/Deployment_Guide/Version-2-2/Cisco-Meeting-Server-2-2-Single-Combined-Server-Deployment.pdf

If you want to stream those files, then yes, you need vBrick (assuming you want Cisco assistance, if not, other options might be used.)

HTH

java

Thank you for your support :)

Hello Jaime.  You seem the most knowledgeable when it comes to recorders.  I cannot find anything on the below issue; maybe you have.

When recording, at the 15 minute mark, the recording repeats that the meeting is being recorded, and a new mp4 temp file is created.  The previous 15 minute recording is finalized into an mp4 file.  So a 1 hour and 5 minute recording would be 5 files.

Is there a setting to make the entire recording just 1 file instead of 5 files?

I use CMS 3.4.

This is the community forum I had when initially creating my recorder, if it helps: Solved: CMS Recorder / Certificates - Cisco Community

Thanks in advance.

you can use NFS to store recording files. I have done it and work well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: