cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Cisco Telepresence SX20 to use H323

jefferymitchell
Level 1
Level 1

The previous engineer has setup a template for this device. Because SIP is not used by the vendor that we will be conferencing with I have to configure this device in Call Manager to use H323. Can someone guide me to where in Call Manager I can setup this device to use the H323 protocol.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

CUCM is SIP only, if you need to make an H323 call. You'll need to either setup the endpoint without CUCM as standalone as Acevirgil has mentioned, however that isn't great as its already setup with CUCM. The other alternative is if you have a VCS or Expressway, either of those can interwork the SIP call to H323 and vise versa. 

Do you know why the other side can only do H323, do they have a way to interwork H333-SIP calls?

View solution in original post

Make sure the H323 service is not disabled.

Check it on your SX20 configuration under network services. 

H323 mode: ON

Also, verify on your firewall if the required H323 ports are open. Try also to set the H323 NAT mode from Auto to ON.

regards,

Acevirgil

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Are you refering to CUCM as "Call Manager"? Could you tell more about your environment. Do you have CUCM? VCS? Not yet tried on SX20 registering on CUCM as H323 endpoint.

You can configure the the SX20 as H323 stand alone endpoint without registering on the CUCM.

There's a lot of discussion here on how to deploy SX20 endpoints as stand alone H323:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11606926/sx20-standalone

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11898786/sx20-standalone-configuration

regards,

Acevirgil

Thanks for responding Acevirgil. This setup is in an Enterprise environment. I have configured avstatic nat public IP for this device. I tested communication to the device by calling via my cell phone I can connect. The SX20is registered in Cisco Unified communications manager ver 9.1.2. To use SIP protocol. Because I need to communicate with a bridge that is using H323 I need to change the current configuration from SIP to H323. I found another issue with trying to  reconfigure there is a password set on the device in call manager. I have the admin password to change the user and password for the device but call manager is not updating the database.  Also can I communicate directly to another telepresence device external to my network? Or do I need to use Jabber or Webex?

CUCM is SIP only, if you need to make an H323 call. You'll need to either setup the endpoint without CUCM as standalone as Acevirgil has mentioned, however that isn't great as its already setup with CUCM. The other alternative is if you have a VCS or Expressway, either of those can interwork the SIP call to H323 and vise versa. 

Do you know why the other side can only do H323, do they have a way to interwork H333-SIP calls?

Patrick thanks for responding. I am in the process of removing the SX20 from call manager.  The prior tech set a password on the device so I will have to set it back to factory settings. The bridge that will be hosting is using H323 only. No we don't have a VCS or expressway. Do you know how to factory reset the device?

Take a look at this video, it should help: Factory Reset SX20 Codec.

Patrick,

I powered the codec off then held the power button down but it never went to the blinking stage that shows on the video. So I am stuck here trying unable to factory reset the device. I put the device back on Call Manager and now I can access the web gui unfortunately the former tech did'nt give anyone onsite the password. So factory reset is my only option. Is there any other way to factory reset?

You might be running into a similar issue as the person in this thread, sx20-factory-reset-issue, try the workaround that Mangus mentions and see if that works.

Patrick, I was able to enter configuration I found that the password for first login is: Username admin password:is just blank. I want to set this device up as a standalone to use H323 as the protocol. I read on another thread that H323 on Call manager was not possible so I am going this route. The connection I need to make requires H323. On the system information page it H323 Status Inactive Missing E164 alias or H323ID. What information is required here?

Take a look at the first link Acevirgil provided in his reply above, and configure your SX20 per Vivek's reply in that thread.  You can disregard the E164 and H323 ID fields, as they are not required when deploying as a standalone codec.  If the SX20 has a private IP address and you're using NAT with your firewall, then you need to turn on and configure the NAT settings with the public IP you're using.

I have just replied to that discussion. He states that there is one more setting. My settings are below the same as he recommended I must be missing the one he did not mention because he did'nt have the guys software version number i hav listed my below:

Profile 1 Setting:

Call setup mode :Direct

PortAllocation: Static

Nat address: My nat address is here

H323 Setting:

NAT MODE: AUTO

SOFTWARE VERSION TC7.3.1.8a4696f

Also All ports have been opened as instructed. I tested and could not connect to a test site at 71.14.2.158

Try also to test other working test sites. The IP you are trying to reach seems not reachable. 

Try the other one, 71.14.2.157. This is a good test site and will provide loopback audio and video and call back feature. 

Regards,

Acevirgil

Thanks to all of you that responded to this discussion. Thanks to all of you I learned a lot going through this process. I've tested the device from dialing via IP from the outside to inside it works both video and audio. I tested dialing IP to a polycom device on our internal network, the call connected but I didn't get video just audio. Any Ideas?  

Patrick the system information page is showing H323 is inactive. I tried to make an I.P to I.P call it would not go through.

Profile 1 Setting:

Call setup mode :Direct

PortAllocation: Static

Nat address: My nat address is here

H323 Setting:

NAT MODE: AUTO

SOFTWARE VERSION TC7.3.1.8a4696f

Make sure the H323 service is not disabled.

Check it on your SX20 configuration under network services. 

H323 mode: ON

Also, verify on your firewall if the required H323 ports are open. Try also to set the H323 NAT mode from Auto to ON.

regards,

Acevirgil