cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the SX80 CODEC generate and apply 802.1Q tags to its traffic by default?

Snoogie2563
Level 1
Level 1

Does the SX80 CODEC generate and apply 802.1Q tags to its traffic by default?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@Snoogie2563 wrote:

I was trying to find some vendor documentation that actually says that.

The closest you will find will likely be what is in the Admin Guide where it discusses the VLAN Voice Mode settings:

Network [n] VLAN Voice Mode
n: 1..1
Define the VLAN voice mode. The VLAN Voice Mode will be set to Auto automatically if you
have Cisco UCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager) as provisioning infrastructure.
Note that Auto mode will NOT work if the NetworkServices CDP Mode setting is Off.
Requires user role: ADMIN, USER
Default value: Auto
Value space: Auto/Manual/Off
Auto: The Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP), if available, assigns an id to the voice VLAN. If
CDP is not available, VLAN is not enabled.
Manual: The VLAN ID is set manually using the Network VLAN Voice VlanId setting. If
CDP is available, the manually set value will be overruled by the value assigned by CDP.
Off: VLAN is not enabled

So, if you don't have CDP, it won't assign a Voice VLAN by default, but you can assign it manually.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

Wayne +5 this is the same doc I pulled the information from the first time. 

I would mark your post as solved if you feel it is to close the thread and help others.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

The Network Vlan mode is on by default.  You will want CDP enable for this to work.

Can I ask more detail about why your asking what is the end goal, is it just to use the voice vlan for the device if plugged in. If so the commands are the same as the aux vlan or voice vlan.  

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/sx-series/tc7/administration-guide/sx80-administrator-guide-tc73.pdf

Network [1..1] VLAN Voice Mode

Set the VLAN voice mode. The VLAN Voice Mode will be set to Auto automatically if you have
Cisco UCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager) as provisioning infrastructure. Note that
Auto mode will NOT work if the NetworkServices CDP Mode setting is Off.
Requires user role: ADMIN
Value space: <Auto/Manual/Off>
Auto: The Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP), if available, assigns an id to the voice VLAN. If
Manual: The VLAN ID is set manually using the Network VLAN Voice VlanId setting. If CDP is
available, the manually set value will be overruled by the value assigned by CDP.
Off: VLAN is not enabled.
Example: Network 1 VLAN Voice Mode: Auto

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for the input, the short answer to your question is that I have an Information Assurance checklist known as a STIG that I am supposed to use to evaluate certain configuration settings associated with devices connected to my network. I'm not sure what your background is, but this is a DoD thing. Anyway, one of them that we feel is applicable to the CODEC says (paraphrased), "The Voice Video Endpoint must apply 802.1Q VLAN tags to signaling and media traffic."

I thought this was probably a default characteristic but I was trying to find some vendor documentation that actually says that. I will have to review the information in the administrator guide more closely. For one thing, we have other guidance that prohibits us from having CDP enabled, and all I have control of is the CODEC; I do not have access to the Cisco UCM, nor could I even guarantee that there is one although I do understand that some sort of device is acting as a gatekeeper.

Message sent directly

What does it mean if I try and send a private message and I receive the following error:

Authentication Failed.

• Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication.

What exactly, am I failing to authenticate to?

Not sure that is a support forum question about the support forum.... I just sent you a private message let me know if you got it and just reply to me on that.

@Snoogie2563 wrote:

I was trying to find some vendor documentation that actually says that.

The closest you will find will likely be what is in the Admin Guide where it discusses the VLAN Voice Mode settings:

Network [n] VLAN Voice Mode
n: 1..1
Define the VLAN voice mode. The VLAN Voice Mode will be set to Auto automatically if you
have Cisco UCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager) as provisioning infrastructure.
Note that Auto mode will NOT work if the NetworkServices CDP Mode setting is Off.
Requires user role: ADMIN, USER
Default value: Auto
Value space: Auto/Manual/Off
Manual: The VLAN ID is set manually using the Network VLAN Voice VlanId setting. If
CDP is available, the manually set value will be overruled by the value assigned by CDP.
Off: VLAN is not enabled

So, if you don't have CDP, it won't assign a Voice VLAN by default, but you can assign it manually.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne +5 this is the same doc I pulled the information from the first time. 

I would mark your post as solved if you feel it is to close the thread and help others.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: