Views
Helpful
Replies

Is a VCSE required for internet calls

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a BE6K solution with a VCS-C VM installed but unfortunately I cannot install a VCS-E as the server is only medium density and only supports 4 application VMs.

I have registered two SX20s to the VCS-C using h323/SIP and configured the VCS-C with zones and search rules to allow external internet calls. Out of curiosity I also configured a direct NAT to the VCSC from a public IP address and inbound h323/SIP calls work without any issues.

Is this acceptable for a small scale solution and not use a VCSE? My only other choice is to remove the VCSC all together and just have standalone SX20s.

Many thanks,

3 Replies 3

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For security purposes, you definitely need a vcse. Your VCSE would sit in your DMZ and your VCSC will sit in your internal network. All traffic to and from the internet should be sent via your VCSE. Your VCSC shouldn't be connecting to the internet at all..Thats a big risk you are taking even for a small deployment

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks for the reply.

This is just testing at the moment as I was curious on the how the technology was working.

Are there any major security risks with configuring NAT to a standalone SX20?

deeswain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ideal solution for your requirement would have been a VCS-Expressway starterpack. However, I dont think that is possible to deploy on a virtual environment.

You can however, buy a VCS-Expressway now to make it work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: