Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging into Content Server as admin for the first time

stramund1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have just installed a new Content Server, but can not log into it as admin. When I go to the WEB UI and log in with my domain user I just get the (blank for now) recordings site, and no "management" tab.

The installation manual doesnt say anything about this og I have tried google, but nothing works.

I guess there is an admin account i should use?

I have tried, as som have suggested online:

So how can i get to the management tab for this product??

Content server v 7.0.

Thanks in advance for any help:)

13 Replies 13

Hi, I had the same problem with some brousers. br Oleksandr

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to first login as the local Administrator account of the TCS, this account by default has site manager privileges.  Once logged in as administrator, you can configure the server by adding an LDAP server to use for authenticating users under Management > Configuration > Site Settings, and setup your AD users/groups under Site Settings > Groups and Users. Refer to Task 9, Step 2 of the TCS 7.0 Quick Start, as well as the "Groups and Users" section of the TCS 7.0 Admin Guide.

Hello!

Thanks for replying.

The problem seems to be that I can't log in with local administrator.

I have tried the following:

.\Administrator + Password

servername\Administrator + Password

servername FQDN\Administrator + Password

However, I can log in with my domain account to get the recordings page, without the management tab.

Does it matter that it's not the Cisco appliance I have installed, but the virtual thats running on our existing VMWare plattform?

Hardware appliance or virtual, it's all the same when it comes to the TCS.

How do you have the TCS configured up to this point, what have you done? If you can log into it using your domain account, then it sounds as if you've logged into the TCS at least once with the Administrator account and configured either LDAP or Domain authentication.

Try logging using the rescue URL below with the Administrator account:

http://<ContentServerIPaddress>/#page:login&rescue:true

The username should include the machine name, example: <machine-name>\Administrator. 

Hello again.

I have followed the installation-manual (which is not good by the way) until it says to log into the server to see if the installation was OK.

I have honestly never seen the management tab on this server and never set it up for LDAP or domain auth. I know it sounds strange that I can log in with my domain account.

The rescue URL doesn't work either:(

As we are a financial company, we have strict policies, so I think I have to check further if it's the security that is kicking in here.

If you dont have any more suggestions, I thank you for taking time to help me:) 

Will update this thread when I find the answer.

Can you try what Wayne suggests where you RDP into the TCS server and login with the local "Administrator" account, and then try to log into the TCS website using that same account.

If that doesn't work, suggest you contact TAC, as there might be something else going on, or as you suggested, environmental settings related to your organization.

Regarding how you're able to login with your domain account, I don't see how this is possible without configuring the TCS through the web interface first to use Active Directory for user authentication.  What if you reset the Administrator account password, and try to login, also make sure the username is spelled exactly "Administrator".

Logging into the server itself with local admin and password is working, but still cannot log into the WebUI with the same account.

When I log in with my domain account, it shows the following in the log in information in the right top corner:

domain\DomainUsername (TCSservername\DomainUsername)

100% sure I have never set the TCS up for Domain Auth..

Yes, I will contact TAC to see if they can help me:)

Strange you can't login with the local admin account, I have to ask, did you follow the install guide step by step and could you have possibly of missed something? I've installed virtual TCS probably a dozen times by now, and never once come into this issue myself, if you do contact TAC, please let us know what you find out.

One other option is we could edit the SQL database and give your account site manager permissions. This won't fix the admin account issue, but should get you up and running to stetup AD authentication, and from there you can configure AD groups and users with appropriate permissions. 

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try accessing it from on the content server itself:

• RDP and log in as the local administrator account to the Content Server itself.
  • Launch IE and go to https://localhost/tcs/

You should then see the Management tab.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello. Thanks for replying.

As we are not allowed by policy to RDP logon with local administrator, so I have done this by logging into the server using the WMWare console.

I can then log into the Content Server with the local admin account and password, but not into the WebUI with the same account.

I am starting to suspect Local Admin policies, and will check this out internally.

When logging in locally on the console to the Web interface, don't put domain\administrator or localhost\administorator or .\administrator or anything similar to that in the username field, just use administrator with nothing before or after it.

You only need to log in as this once to then configure your LDAP or other local admin accounts on TCS, so that may help you convince your policy people to enable you to do that just the one time to get it working.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

stramund1
Level 1
Level 1

Finally found a solution to the problem.

Logging in as Administrator using the dialog box did not work at all. Don't know if its because of my companys policies.

Solution:

Setting IIS authentication on Default Website to "Windows Authentication" and then logging in with local admin to the Content Server using the VMWare Console (as policy restrict me to log in by local admin via RDP).

Turns out this works out like SSO, so didnt have to enter anything in a dialog box at all. It just logged me in automatically as administrator once I entered the site. I could then set up domain and give admin rights to my personal admin user.

Thanks again to everybody that made an effort to help me.

Glad you were able to finally get logged in, even though it wasn't a typical method.  Some things that come to mind since you mentioned IIS and can now login to the web interface:

While you were in IIS, for the tcs\authentication folder, what authentication settings were enabled?  It should be, by default, Anonymous and Basic.

Also, something else I thought of, now that you have access to the management side of the TCS web interface, I'd check if the Administrator account has the correct computer name prefix.

In the end, probably best to reach out to TAC so they can assist, if you really need to have Administrator access working so you can login no matter the computer.  As it sounds as if something on the computer or some type of configuration isn't correct that is preventing the normal login methods from working.