cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU 8510

ravikumar.v1
Level 1
Level 1

Hai, i have a MCU 8510 in one location which have a 40 port open and i have an another MCU 8510 located in another place with 40 port open, both are in the same network.

My requirement is can i make a 80 party call by merging or clustering this both MCU's in different locations because there are in the same network.

if possible, where this has to be configured ?

if not, why this is not possible ?

please explain.

Thanks & regards

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ravi,

I have not worked on this model of  MCU 8510 but to share my views .

Cisco MCU 8510 supports 80 SD media ports on one blade.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/telepresence-mse-8000-series/data_sheet_c78-627558.html

If you have got two MCU at different locations with 40 ports each say 40 SD with requirement of 80 participants , then u need to have more media ports since by merging you would be using one media port on each blade.

Expert or one who has worked can share views.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

Shea Sivell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also note, that both MSE8510's would need to be in the same chassis to cluster the two blades.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In addition to what Aman and Shea has mentioned, you can create a cascade link between the two MCU 8510 blades, not to be mistaken with clustering.  See the Multipoint Control Unit Cascading Configuration Example for more information on creating a cascade, this would be a solution and still maintain the current media port quality that you currently have set on the MCU.  However it is important to note, that creating a cascade would consume a single media port license from each MCU as Aman suggests, so instead of having 40 participants per MCU, you'd really have 39 participants for a total of 78.  With that said Aman's solution would be the better route to lower the media quality to ensure all 80 participants can connect, but if you don't require 80 participants than cascading can work.

4 Replies 4

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ravi,

I have not worked on this model of  MCU 8510 but to share my views .

Cisco MCU 8510 supports 80 SD media ports on one blade.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/telepresence-mse-8000-series/data_sheet_c78-627558.html

If you have got two MCU at different locations with 40 ports each say 40 SD with requirement of 80 participants , then u need to have more media ports since by merging you would be using one media port on each blade.

Expert or one who has worked can share views.

regds,

aman

thanks to Patrick and Shea for sharing more info.

regds,

aman

Shea Sivell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also note, that both MSE8510's would need to be in the same chassis to cluster the two blades.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In addition to what Aman and Shea has mentioned, you can create a cascade link between the two MCU 8510 blades, not to be mistaken with clustering.  See the Multipoint Control Unit Cascading Configuration Example for more information on creating a cascade, this would be a solution and still maintain the current media port quality that you currently have set on the MCU.  However it is important to note, that creating a cascade would consume a single media port license from each MCU as Aman suggests, so instead of having 40 participants per MCU, you'd really have 39 participants for a total of 78.  With that said Aman's solution would be the better route to lower the media quality to ensure all 80 participants can connect, but if you don't require 80 participants than cascading can work.