Helpful
Replies

Migration of TMS v.13.2 (with Legacy agents Enabled) to new TMS v.14

Bochkaryov
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

Our VC infrastructure consists of the following Cisco\ex-Tandberg equipment:

TMS server v.13.2 (withTMS Legacy agents Enabled)

2 clustered VCS Controls X7.1

2 clustered VCS Expressways X7.1

MCUs Codian 4510 v.4.3(2.18)

Codian IP GW 3510 v.2.0(1.11)

17 Edge 95/1700 MXP endpoints (F8.1\F8.2\F9.1)

25 Cisco Jabber Clients (v.4.2\v.4.5)

Recently our TMS server failed, so it will be replaced as per Cisco RMA program. As it turned out the new server was shipped with TMS version 14 and release activation key is not vailable for version 13.2 for this TMS.

Could you please advice how to migrate our TMS server v13.2 (with TMS Legacy agents) to the new server with preinstalled TMS version 14 with minimal losses.

At this moment we cannot deploy TMSPE on the old TMS server as it unexpectedly restarts. TMS Agent legacy is enabled but not supported by TMS v. 14.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Nick

6 Replies 6

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Nick,

Let me give you some tips. Firstly, tell me, do you have Cisco TMS appliance? If you have, be aware that Cisco does not recommend to use TMS Provisioning Extension on this appliance, once it has a very limited hardware. As reference, see the page 6 of this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmspe/install_guide/Cisco_TMSPE_Deployment_Guide_1-1.pdf

With regards the migration from a server to another, I won't describe here all the procedures, because Cisco team has already done that. Follow this document and you're going to be able to migrate your TMS without problem:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26056#comment-19760

If you have any question related to the document and the procedures, please let me know.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Dear Paulo,

Thanks for the quick response. Let me answer If I understand you correctly what is TMS appliance means.

New Cisco TMS v.14 server was shipped and on the way to our location now. We gonna use the server for small deployment so it hardware configuration is enough for us.

What will be the behavior if we restore our old database version 13.2 (with TMS Legacy provisioning) on the new Cisco TMS version 14 as per the above document? What we lose?

Regards,

Nikolay

Hi Nikolay.

TMS legacy provisioning has been removed since 14.x release. Please follow the below steps to restore your TMS and

There are two different database in TMS.

• 1. SQL (TMS ng) ( Microsoft SQL)

•2. Opends (TMS Agent) (Java Opends database)

To backup/restore SQL ng >> you need a tool called sql studio management Express, from Microsoft free download and can be installed on TMS server directly it also help us to troubleshoot database related other issues.

You can perform backup on your old TMS and use the same hostname/IP on the newly received and un-install 14.x version and install the same software version as per the current  TMS software and restore the backup on new server.

To back up Opends we have builtin tool in TMS

Location >> TMS >>Administrative Tools >> Configuration >> TMS Agent setting >> TMS Agent Backup

TMS 13.X  allows you to back up without disable replication.

HTH.

BR, Mahesh adithiyha

Hi Nikolay,

You should not import on TMS 14 a data base of TMS 13, it does not work this way. I would recommend two possibilities

First option:

1. Update your old TMS provisioning service to TMSPE; then Update your old TMS to the version 14 (line edited)
  2. Then generate a backup o tmsng and tmspe data bases
  3. Import tmsng data base backup on the new server
  4. Install TMSPE on the new server; import backup of tmspe

Second option:

1. Downgrade or reinstall your new TMS Server to the version 13.2
  2. Generate a backup of tmsng on the old server
  3. Generate backup of provisiong agent legacy on the old server
  4. Import backup of tmsng database on the new server
  5. Install provisioning agent legacy on the new server and import the backup
  6. Update your new TMS provisioning service to TMSPE; then Update your new TMS to the version 14 (line edited)

When upgrading from Agent Legacy to TMSPE, upgrade to the TMSPE version 1.0, do not upgrade to the version 1.1 directly, because this version does not support migration from Agent Legacy to TMSPE, you must to use versoin 1.0 to migrate from Agent Legacy. After migrating to TMSPE 1.0, you can upgrade TMSPE to version 1.1. But be aware that TMSPE 1.1 requires TMS 14.2. (Line edited)

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

If I can just interject a bit here since this thread seems to be all over the place...meaning have "we" determined if Nikolay actually as a TMS Appliance (black pizza box with our own OS and TMS installed) or does he have his own hardware with the TMS and SQL softwared installed to?

I'm thinking he has the 'pizza box' since he's talking RMA in his initial post...which if that is the case...then I'd follow what Mahesh is recommending, but that's assuming he has a backup of his TMS SQL db and legacy tms agent db from the old server. If the doesn't have those backups, then he's going to be out of luck.

Therefore, and as discussed, recommend you confirm exactly what he has first...in particular backups of the db...and then proceed with a plan.

@Paulo: Your first option isn't a player since he was running at 13.2 with legacy tms agent...meaning he needs to migrate to TMSPE v1.0 at 13.2.x first before he can proceed to upgrading to TMS 14.1.1. As Mahesh says, legacy tms agent doesn't exist 'inside' TMS 14.x.x like it did in TMS 13.x or earlier...meaning this is why you need to migrate to TMSPE v1.0 at 13.2.x before you can make the jump to 14.x.x. And the reason that I'm specifically saying TMSPE v1.0 is although TMSPE v1.1 is the latest release, migration from legacy tms agent is not supported in TMSPE v1.1 and it as a direct dependency with TMS 14.2.x.

@Paulo: Your first option isn't a player since he was running at 13.2 with legacy tms agent...meaning he needs to migrate to TMSPE v1.0 at 13.2.x first before he can proceed to upgrading to TMS 14.1.1. As Mahesh says, legacy tms agent doesn't exist 'inside' TMS 14.x.x like it did in TMS 13.x or earlier...meaning this is why you need to migrate to TMSPE v1.0 at 13.2.x before you can make the jump to 14.x.x. And the reason that I'm specifically saying TMSPE v1.0 is although TMSPE v1.1 is the latest release, migration from legacy tms agent is not supported in TMSPE v1.1 and it as a direct dependency with TMS 14.2.x.

I know that TMS 14 does not support TMS agent legacy, so it is necessary to upgrade to TMSPE before upgrade to TMS 14, that is why I said:

1. Upgrade the new server to the version 14, when updating, also update Provisioning service to TMSPE

Maybe the way I put the information has not been clear, but I intented to say this, upgrading to TMSPE and then upgrading TMS. Sorry for the confused way I wrote, I am going to edit the post just to avoid misunderstanding.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: