cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on 1841

roymacatangay
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco 1841, 1 wan and 1 lan, I want to apply Qos/Auto Qos to prioritize Voice, I googled it but don't know where to start? Do I need to enabled it on both interfaces?

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Keep in mind you can really only do "meaningful" QoS on outbound traffic. 

Depending on the version of IOS you should have access to the "auto qos voip" command while in interface config. Arguably the most important place for QoS is facing the WAN, since it is often the bottleneck compared to the LAN. That being said QoS needs to be present on switches and other gear to work "properly". 

Catalyst switches also have auto qos capabilities, which allows them to trust markings from certain devices among other things. 

QoS is a complicated topic, so this is why Cisco made auto qos. Cisco phones are configured by default to mark their signalling traffic and voice bearer traffic, so as long as the switching infrastructure isn't overwriting/resetting this auto qos on the router will match these markings and give them priority. It's critical that your interface config defines the actual bandwidth or QoS won't have any idea when congestion is occurring. 

A good place for you to start reading is probably http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=352991&seqNum=5

HTH

Thank you Anthony!

I'm a newbie so maybe you can share some sample config. I am working on a callcenter with a connection of 10mb fiber up/down, data and voice are on the same connection, we will be using a hosted PBX that is why I want to enable voip prioritization on our network. We will be using softphones, no cisco phones. I am using cisco network assistant and looking for QOS settings but I cannot find anything for me to begin with.

Here is our setup:

cisco 1841---catalyst 3548-XL12.05(distribution switch)---proxy server---catalyst 3548-XL12.05---lan pcs

Where should I start?

Hoping for your advice.

Thank you.

On the catalysts it looks like you're pretty light on what you can do for QoS, I've never worked with this platform so I can only go off of what Cisco indicates in their documentation: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2900-xl-series-switches/23060-139.html

In interface config you can try auto qos voip cisco-softphone but I suspect it won't exist. You're not going to have much fun or luck configuring QoS for softphones on these switches, you can do priority queuing for output on these but since these are softphones the PC data would end up in the priority queue as well, not at all a good thing. These switches don't support COS to DSCP mappings either. On top of this the switches don't support voice VLANs, so I'm going to say as far as the switches you're out of luck for the most part. That being said according to the Cisco docs the switches will just leave the DSCP value untouched, so assuming the soft phone is marking it's packets (Cisco IPC will) you can match these values at your router...

It can be really simple on the router as mentioned earlier, just go into interface config for you Cisco router and type "auto qos voip". This tells the router to generate a bunch of config that does the following:

• Match on DSCP values already present for voice signalling and bearer
  • Also match RTP using NBAR, and signalling using access lists for port matching, in case the soft phone isn't marking it's traffic. If you added the "trust" keyword onto the end of the command above it would not look at protocols, just for DSCP markings present. 
  • Puts voice bearer traffic into a priority queue and provides a minimum bandwidth guarantee, but also provides a maximum. (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-packet-marking/10100-priorityvsbw.html)
  • Guarantees a minimum bandwidth for voice signalling traffic. 
  • Sets DSCP values which your ISP will probably promptly ignore (depending on your agreement with them). 

And voila, you have a simple but working QoS configuration. To test this configuration is matching properly, use "sh policy-map interface xxx" where xxx is your WAN interface. Look for matches in the classes. You should also test this during times of congestion, so use a traffic generator of sorts on the LAN and check voice quality between a soft phone and a PSTN caller. There should be minimal delay in the caller hearing your voice, anything over 150ms delay one way is generally considered unacceptable. 

The above is all based on my experience, and my understanding of Cisco's recommended practices, others may provide a different take or have some suggestions on how to get something useful out of the switches. 

Hi Anthony! Thank you for lending your time to answer my questions. I still have a couple of questions, have auto qos setup just need some testing.

1. auto qos voip vs. auto qos voip trust, what is the difference?

2. you can really only do "meaningful" QoS on outbound traffic--- so auto qos is not the best way to do prioritization on voip.

3. is there other way we can do prioritization? like reserved bandwidth for sip? 

Thank you again!

1) Adding the trust keyword means that the class maps (these define what to match on) look only for DSCP values in the IP header. This is simpler matching, but you rely on the markings having made it intact to your router. Without the trust keyword it looks for DSCP and NBAR/ACLs to match protocols. 2) auto qos voip applies an outbound service policy to the interface, so it meets this criteria. 3) auto qos uses a combination of the bandwidth and priority commands, both of which offer a minimum bandwidth guarantee during congestion. The priority command also includes a maximum guarantee through the use of a policer, and is used for voice bearer traffic since it also uses a strict PQ. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-packet-marking/10100-priorityvsbw.html Cisco has a great explanation at that link, expanding on what I've indicated.

Hi Anthony,

Sorry for bothering you.

Been doing a lot of testing on QOS, can you recommend a managed switch that has QOS?

TIA