cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS over TLS

v-yelmene
Level 1
Level 1

We have started using the Transparent LAN Services (TLS) from our local ISP. We are running H.323 (384K) video over this link. The link is 9.2M, and we show an average traffic rate of approx. 2M in/out with MRTG 5 minute averages. We are experiencing extremely poor video over this link, even though the bandwidth is more than enough. Does anyone have any insight into similar implementations? This is essentially a LAN link, it's just a 9.2M link as opposed to 10 or 100. My personal experience is Video quality can only be guaranteed with QoS/prioritization mechanisms in place regardless of available bandwidth. I don't believe the ISP will/can provide QoS over this TLS service. What are your experiences with H.323 video quality over your LAN?

1 Reply 1

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

you could implement "IP SLA" to test qos issues across this link. It will allow you to measure round trip delay, jitter and packet loss. This should help you either to rule out the link as cause of your video problems or give evidence to present to your SP. Are there any delay, jitter, packet loss statements in your contract? If so, I would definately be after the SP to be contract compliant. If there are no statements and you have evidence the SP creates the problems I would still talk to the SP.

One other approach would be a nested policy shaping all traffic towards the TLS link to 9 Mbps and applying a qos policy to the shaper.

If you need further information on nested policies and their impact, let me know, or have a look at

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Video%20over%20IP&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc6527

Hope this helps! please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin