Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 and call manager

mireille.saade
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support,

i'm working on the following: 4 sites need to communicate via voice and video using telepresence SX20 and EX90. kindly advise on the below:

1) do i need a call manager even if telepresence is using real IP? in this case is VCS required?
2)do SX20 and EX60,EX90 work with CME? will the bandwidth be affected?
3)if more than 4 sites need to communicate, i need to add an MCU, are the call manager telepresence licenses needed too?

Appreciate your swift response

Best Regards

Mireille

4 Replies 4

mireille.saade
Level 1
Level 1

A kind reminder

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1) do i need a call manager even if telepresence is using real IP? in this case is VCS required?

Well, the endpoints can communicate with each other even without using CUCM or VCS for call control. You can dial IP address using H323 protocol, so that a call control server won't be required for basic functionality.

However, if you want to have more features, such as centralized bandwidth control, global phonebook, provisioning of configuration, number dialing and so on - then you need to have a call control server, like CUCM for example.

2)do SX20 and EX60,EX90 work with CME? will the bandwidth be affected?

No, telepresence endpoints don't work with CME. You need CallManager or VCS.

3)if more than 4 sites need to communicate, i need to add an MCU, are the call manager telepresence licenses needed too?

Yes, you do need MCU to make multipoint calls involving more than 4 sites, but you don't need additional license in CUCM in order to add your MCU. MCU is integrated to CUCM via SIP or via Media Resourse Group, thus additional license is not required.

In addition, for those endpoints you have (SX and MX series), you can use either CUCM or VCS as call control server. There are some differences between CUCM and VCS, but in general, VCS is more applied when you have third party devices, when you need integration with internet (using VCS Expressway) or when you need scheduling multipoint conferences with TMS, otherwise, I would suggest you to go for CUCM, because it supports all Tandberg endpoints (SX, MX, EX and C series) and supports CTS/TX endpoints as well, so that you can have one single call control server to register all your Cisco Telepresence devices. Furthermore, Cisco is improving call manager, so that you can expect a reacher feature set for telepresence endpoints registered to CUCM.

I hope this help.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Dear,

i just want to make sure i got this right: if i have multisite and I want  basic voice, video functionality, does this scenario work with real IP (without call manager) ?

Regards

Yep,

That's right. You would be able to do the basic audio/video call functionality without having a CUCM in your network.

Thanks

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: