Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 IR issue

David Kos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have a customer that has a SX20 located in a ceiling rack with the main camera being in the room.  I want the IR signals to go through the main camera and have turned the Camera IR setting to On and the System Unit IR to off.  This only allows the camera to pan and tilt but doesn't allow for navigation of the system menus.  If I turn the IR for the System Unit back to on/auto you can navigate the menus but once the ceiling tile is moved back in place the System Unit IR is blocked and you lose remote navigation capabilities. 

Can the IR on the camera be set to receive all of the commands from the remote control?  If yes, how should the setting look at the Camera IR and System Unit IR?  Thanks for your help!

BTW: the codec is on TC5.x software so I recommended that they also update the software on the unit to the latest and greatest.

3 Replies 3

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using the Cisco supplied VISCA camera cable, or one you made yourself?

Does the endpoint detect and see the camera connected?

If the codec and camera are connected properly, you should be able to operate the endpoint through the camera's IR sensor.  By default, the codec's IR sensor is disabled when a camera is connected, unless manually turned back on in the configuration.

Regarding the firmware, you have the possibility to go to either TC7.3.6 or CE8.2.1.  CE8 software is the next version of endpoint software, note some features contained with TC software are not present within CE, there is a section in the CE8 Release Notes that covers the considerations of migrating from TC to CE software and suggest you read through it to better understand if you should migrate.

Hi Patrick,

I checked back with the on site tech in regards to if the Cisco cable that was being used and they are using the one that connects to the camera and then y's out to and HDMI and RJ45 connector to the codec.  We set the IR to On for the camera and Off on the System Unit and only the PTZ controls work on the camera and no menu navigation. 

I was hoping there was a box that we may have left unchecked but the settings look pretty straight forward.  I guess we can put an IR extender on the system in the ceiling if worst comes to worst.  Thanks for you time and help, have a Great Weekend!

When the camera is connected correct and detected by the codec, you shouldn't have to make any configuration changes regarding the IR settings, as they will happen automatically.  If you can't control the codec through the camera's IR sensor, and you have to use the codec's IR sensor instead, then you have a communication issue between the codec and camera where the camera isn't being detected properly.

Is it an already made Cat5e cable, or one that was made yourself?  Check the "Camera cables" section of the PrecisionHD Camera User Guide starting on pg 17 to make sure that the pin-out correct for the type of camera cable you're using.

If you log into the codec via SSH, and run the below command, what is the status?

xStatus Camera