cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX80 can not display DVD player output.

sandcrabdave
Level 1
Level 1

Received a new VTC system and can not get the system to display or present DVD media. The Codec recognises the input as being a DVD player and displays it is sharing a DVD on HDMI3 but no video shows up on the local or remote displays. tested with our VTC admin and he could not see the presentation nor could we resolve a solution to the issue. The DVD player is a brand new Panasonic DMP-BDT361PS with 4K and Blue-ray. the presentation will play just fine when connected directly to the display but will not display when connected to the SX80. the SX80 shows that there is a DVD player on HDMI3 but will not display content locally or remotely. I suspect the SX80 has issues passing the DVD video. Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Video conferencing equipment can't display copyright material protected by HDCP from the Blu-Ray, so the output going to the SX80 gets blanked out and doesn't display.

c-series-hdcp-compliant

black-screen-using-blueray-player-or-dvb-t-receiver-hdmi-input-device

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Video conferencing equipment can't display copyright material protected by HDCP from the Blu-Ray, so the output going to the SX80 gets blanked out and doesn't display.

c-series-hdcp-compliant

black-screen-using-blueray-player-or-dvb-t-receiver-hdmi-input-device

I was suspecting that was the answer, was just puzzled by the fact i cannot even display the content as it is being played locally. The content we were wanting to share with other sites is in house produced training videos for the VA's MOVE program encouraging Veterans to get active, get fit and MOVE. We are in a quandary on how we could conduct local and remote training classes with a minimum of staff involvement and were hoping this would be the solution. I fully understand the laws in place to protect digital content but since we own the content we should be able to distribute our presentations as we choose but the laws are broad in scope and interpretation. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

The Blu-Ray might still be sending HDCP even if it's a home made disc, that's just a guess without some way to verify the signal being sent between the player and codec.  You could install something between the two that strips HDCP, and then you wouldn't have to worry about it at all.

Send it via your PC.

"...was just puzzled by the fact i cannot even display the content as it is being played locally..."

That's by design, this became quite an issue when the C90 was launched, the systems are quite capable of passing HDCP content in "local" mode, however, Cisco thought, and rightly so in my opinion,  it would be too confusing for users that this would work in "local" mode, but not when connected in a call - so for the sake of consistency it was designed not to pass HDCP content in either "mode".

As Patrick said, you could install a HDCP stripper, HDFury got some stuff which may or may not be suitable. Another option would be using a HDMI switcher to switch between the DVD/Blueray player and the SX80 etc.

I am in the university sector and we have removed the DVD players, and our users now play DVDs if/when required on PCs permanently installed in the rooms instead of using a stand-alone player. Works for us. :)

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Have a switcher in mind?

If they're in-house videos, could you not put them on some other media rather than the DVD and play them from another device (ie, a laptop or PC connected to the Content input on the SX endpiont)?  Or perhaps just not use the DVD/BluRay player you're using and try another one that doesn't require HDCP?  Given they're in-house videos, there should be no copyright issues with duplicating the material or converting it to anonther non-DVD format.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.