Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS 12.6 migration to VM

Arbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

There is TMS 12.6 install on the window server 2003, and we would to migrate it to VM server.

Anyone knows TMS 12.6 support on VM server, and how to migrate the users configuration to VM as well?

Best Regards,

Ben

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ben,

You may have some licencing issues if you're going from the old TMS appliance to a new server/VM as the licence keys for TMS are different on an appliance (80Bxxxxx) versus on a normal server (80Axxxxx).

All of your option and other licence keys, are all tied to the TMS serial number, so will all be inforrect too if you're going from a 'B' to an 'A' licence.  You'll need to request new ones through the TAC.

There's a good post by Dale Ritchie about this process in this thread (ignore that they're talking about a 13 to 14 upgrade as well, although that may be something you should consider too).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

I am at the moment not 100% sure what your status is as on one hand you said you migrated, but on

the other hand you still ask questions which I would guess needed to be answered before a migration?

Remember that its also a licensing thing which you have to follow up when migrating from the appliance

to the virtual session. Please contact your Cisco Partner / Contact for that.

I still have some concern on the mirgration.

1. Window server version. Is it complusory to have same window server version between TMS appliance and VM?

2. TMS version. Since TMS 12.6.2 is lastest version that can be downloaded from cisco, the client TMS version is 12.6.

1) no, but check the release notes admin and deployment guides regards requirements for your deployment.

In general win 2003 up to 2008R2 shall work fine.

Its the restored sql data which is important, the os is not directly related to that.

2) the latest version is 14.3.2:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283613664&catid=282627892&softwareid=280886992&release=14.3.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

But please see and read the release notes, especially if you use Movi/Jabber Video as things were

changed heavily and the TMS upgrade has specific version dependencies.

1.servername with the hostname of the SQL server.

2.instancename with the SQL service instance name.

1) It depends on what you configured, if it was the tms appliance it will be the local machine running the

MS-SQL Express server

2) if its the express database it should be the default instance with tmsng as the db.

What do you think of getting yourself some external help for the migration process?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Robert McAffery
Level 1
Level 1

Check this link out.  Hope it help.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26056

Cheers,

Robert

Dear Robert,

Thanks for your document.

Do you have any further document on setting up the TMS on VM ? As we prefer to set a testing enivornment on our PC/

Best regards,

Ben

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, also check the guides and release notes.

What kind of deployment do you have? If you had a TMS appliance you will need to

take some additional steps regards licensing.

If not: in general no issue, TMS works great in a VM.

Depending on the size of the deployment you might want to look into a full MS-SQL server in addition.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Dear Martin,

We are target to migrate from production TMS12.6 appliance to VM, so we believe there is not licensing issue.( PLease correct me if I make any mistake)

In our VC depolyment, there is TMS, two MCU and around two hundered endpoint. Based on the last update, we know the IP address will be modified.

Unfortunately, our team is not familiar with MS-SQL and VM, and we plan to setup the TMS in the VM before the mirgration.

Best Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

You may have some licencing issues if you're going from the old TMS appliance to a new server/VM as the licence keys for TMS are different on an appliance (80Bxxxxx) versus on a normal server (80Axxxxx).

All of your option and other licence keys, are all tied to the TMS serial number, so will all be inforrect too if you're going from a 'B' to an 'A' licence.  You'll need to request new ones through the TAC.

There's a good post by Dale Ritchie about this process in this thread (ignore that they're talking about a 13 to 14 upgrade as well, although that may be something you should consider too).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Dear Wayne,

Thank for your support.

I have tried to setup a TMS with license key in my testing environment.

According to Cisco TelePresence Management Suite Installation and Getting Started Guide (13.2), it mention about SQL

server version as follow,

If there is not an SQL database present on the server when installing Cisco TMS, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express 32 bit will be installed.

Express Edition has a 4 GB database size limit, large deployments with databases that can be expected to grow larger than 4 GB must use the full edition.

How to decide the depolyment size as large?

The following is the expected  reserved disk size for TMS and embedded SQL?

Disk Space:  4 GB for installation and application footprint  +   4 GB for SQL Server locally

Please correct me if i have made any mistakes.

Best Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

You can look at the stats of your current TMS server to see the database sizes and expected growth figures.  These will give you an idea as to whether you're going to hit database size limits or not.

On your current active TMS server, go to Administrative Tools, TMS Server Maintenance, then look under "Databse Files and Size Info".

Wayne

--

Wayne

Hi all,

Thanks all for your support. I have tried Robert doucment, and migrated the TMS 13.2.2 from TMS appliance to VM.

1. Window server version. Is it complusory to have same window server version between TMS appliance and VM?

2. TMS version. Since TMS 12.6.2 is lastest version that can be downloaded from cisco, the client TMS version is 12.6.

Best Regards,

Ben

Arbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Anyone know how to obtain the following information,

Best Regards,

Ben

I am at the moment not 100% sure what your status is as on one hand you said you migrated, but on

the other hand you still ask questions which I would guess needed to be answered before a migration?

Remember that its also a licensing thing which you have to follow up when migrating from the appliance

to the virtual session. Please contact your Cisco Partner / Contact for that.

1) no, but check the release notes admin and deployment guides regards requirements for your deployment.

In general win 2003 up to 2008R2 shall work fine.

Its the restored sql data which is important, the os is not directly related to that.

2) the latest version is 14.3.2:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283613664&catid=282627892&softwareid=280886992&release=14.3.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

But please see and read the release notes, especially if you use Movi/Jabber Video as things were

changed heavily and the TMS upgrade has specific version dependencies.

1) It depends on what you configured, if it was the tms appliance it will be the local machine running the

MS-SQL Express server

2) if its the express database it should be the default instance with tmsng as the db.

What do you think of getting yourself some external help for the migration process?

Hi Ben,

You can check what your server is currently set to by logging in to your TMS server and running the TMSTools.exe. 

If you then click on TMS Database Connection Settings, this will let you see what is currently set for the SQL Server hostname and instance  (SERVERNAME\Instance). 

Wayne

--

Wayne