Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS upgrade information

t.gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

We have a TMS with version 14.3.1 and this tms is configured with TMS PE for the movi client.The backup of this tms is taken on  the separate SQL sever rather than the same server where the TMS is installed.We need to upgrade the TMS from version 14.3.1 to 14.3.2.Could you please confirm what needs to be taken care when upgrading the software and also what how we can upgrade the TMS software.If any docs available for the upgrade please let me know

Regards

Tarun

9 Replies 9

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The release notes will have upgrade instructions, but in way of upgrading TMS it's faily simple.  You'll download the TMS 14.3.2 software from Cisco's website, active contract required, and you'll simply run the software on the TMS server.  The upgrade will detect where the external SQL database is, because the existing TMS will be using it.  No release key is required, because you're doing a minior upgrade, only major release upgrades require a new release key.

Hi, 

I am trying to upgrade TMS from 14.2 to 15.3. Can someone help me with the path for this upgrade. I tried direct upgrade from 14.2 to 15.3 and it throw me an error "SQL Server found is unsupported! Please upgrade your SQL Server".

As option 2 , I tried to upgrade from 14.2 to 14.3.2 and in this case it was supporting the SQL version but then I was prompted to enter release key and the release key I am having is for version 15.3.

Kindly provide a solution here.

Thanks,

Jareesh

Release keys are required for major upgrades, such as 14.x to 15.x, while minor upgrades (aka dot releases) do not, such as 14.2.x to 14.3.x.

If you need to request a new release key, you can do so using the Cisco Licensing Portal under Get Other Licenses > TelePresence Software Release Key.  Your TMS must be on an active support contract to obtain a release key.

What version of SQL server are you running?

You should review the TMS Install Guides, as the requirements and Windows/SQL versions do sometimes change from release to release, as it sounds as if you're running an older version of software that is no longer supported.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tarun,

As Patrick has said in his post, the TMS upgrade from 14.3.1 to 14.3.2 is a very minor upgrade and there's not much to be concerned about.

If you're concerned, take a backup of the SQL databases first so you have something to go back to in the event of a disaster.

Then, as Patrick said - just run the installed on the TMS Server and follow the prompts - it should be a pretty painless process.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne/Patrick

Can you confirm when upgrading the software does it will ask for any password like for sa password etc or just we need to do the next and go for the upgradation.

Regards

Tarun

Hi,

You will have to re-enter the 'sa' password when upgrading TMS. That is a security feature. smiley

Regards,
Kjetil

Note: depending on your installation, it may not be the "sa" user/pasword, but the password for the appropriate user account that has access to the TMS (and tmspe) database(s).  This is quite likely on an off-box SQL server (which you have) if the SQL server is also used for other databases - check with your SQL Server administrator on which account you should be using.

You can also check this by running the TMSTools.exe on your TMS server, then click on TMS Database Connection Settings - it'll show you which server and credentials it is currently using.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropraite.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Kjetil

Thanks .....

Please help for the below

1) What backup needs to be taken from TMS and how we can backup tmsng and other database.

2) What is the difference between Complete and custom install.The TMS is installed long back and we need to know how we check whether it is done by custom or complete install.

Regards

Tarun

Hi Tarun,

"1) What backup needs to be taken from TMS and how we can backup tmsng and other database."

You can back up the TMSNG database using any third party tool such as SQL Server Management Studio.

"2) What is the difference between Complete and custom install.The TMS is installed long back and we need to know how we check whether it is done by custom or complete install."

"Custom" typically means that you used an external SQL Server when installing TMS, or made changes to the SQL Server setup if you let TMS install a local SQL Server Express or you. You don't have to worry too much about these things when upgrading TMS, as the installer automatically picks up the current database connection settings.

Regards,
Kjetil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: