Views
Helpful
Replies

Unhealthy to turn off the Cisco Room Kit Plus on the weekends

LisaDjouyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, 

is it unhealthy for the Cisco Codecs to actually turn them off during the weekends? We have set up the standby mode on every device but one of our clients would like to turn off the device completely in order to save electricity, so my questions are: 

1. How unhealthy is it for the devices to get turned off every weekend? Is there an official statement from Cisco? 
  2. How much electricity is the device approx. consuming while being on standyby? Is it more electrcity consuming turning the device on once a week than being on standby?
  3. Is there a possibility to turn them off by default every friday evening? 

Thanks for advance!

Lisa 

2 Replies 2

CatsAndIT
Level 1
Level 1

In my experience, it isn't typically advisable to fully power off your CODECs for a few reasons:

1. You can remotely power off the CODEC but cannot remotely power it on; It now becomes a weekly task to run around and turn them all on

2. If you're using persistent templates of any sort, the CODEC must be online in order to receive those template pushes

3. Powering your CODECs off can interfere with troubleshooting efforts (for example, is your CODEC down because it was powered off, or because it experienced a failure of some sort?)

4. Powering off your CODECs can interfere with security; A system that is online can send audit logs and other records. This ties in with #3, as if all your systems are normally powered on and you come across one or more that are powered off, that is an anomaly that has either operational or security implications.

As far as power draw, the Data Sheet says that peak draw is 70w, with an average of 20w; I was unable to quickly find any information about standby power draw.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

While it won't be "harmful" to the devices, all the other usability and manageability issues pointed out in @CatsAndIT response should be considered, as these will likely cost you more in the long term than the small amount of power you will save.   I don't know what the power prices are in your area, but you can plug them in to an Energy Cost Calculator to see what your annual cost would be.   A quick calculation on that site using the current rates in my area based on the average power draw figures says it costs me around $64 per annum.   Now, if I had to employ someone to go around every Monday morning and turn all the devices on, it'd certainly cost me a lot more than that in time and salary as the minimum wage here is $21.38 / hour, so they could only spend three hours a year before it becomes cost negative.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: