cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade SX 20 from TC5.1.3 to TC7.3.7, need Release Key

ak
Level 1
Level 1

I get an error message saying missing Release Key when I am trying to do a upgrade through webinterface on our Sx20 to version TC7.3.7 from TC5.1.3. I think the use of Release Key stopped in version 6.1.3, but it seems like I still need a release key when upgrading from v5.1.3. Any idea how to get by this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You need a release key if u upgrade directly from TC5 to TC7 or u upgrade from TC5 to 6 

But if u upgrade from TC6 to TC7, then u won't need a release key.

regds,
aman

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You need a release key if u upgrade directly from TC5 to TC7 or u upgrade from TC5 to 6 

regds,
aman

To clarify, release keys are no longer needed for upgrades after TC6.1.  Only an active support for the endpoint is required to download the software after this version.

Hello Patrick,

I tried to upgrade the SX 20 from ver TC 7.1 to 7.3.8, As you said no release key is required but on display it is showing "Missing release key or enter valid release key"

Hi Santosh,

Release keys are not required when u do upgrade from tc 6 to 7.

can u share snapshot of System version  and error message?

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Error is attached here.

Hi Santosh,

The document says

"Install a release key and you see an "Invalid Release Key" error on the endpoint. One probable cause stems from non-crypto software installed on the endpoint with a release key for encrypted software. 

A second probable cause stems from an encrypted software image installed when you have a non-crypto release key installed."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/collaboration-endpoints/telepresence-system-ex-series/200905-Install-an-Option-Key-on-a-TC-Based-Endp.html

The issue which has been resolved as mentioned by you.

If u are using crypto image, then, your calls would be encrypted provided the far end system supports encryption.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/quick-set-sx20/tc7/administration-guide/sx20-quickset-administrator-guide-tc73.pdf

regds,

aman

Thank You Aman for Clarification.

I've seen this happen a few times here in the forums, even though you might be running a software version after TC6.1, you're still prompted to enter a release key, not sure of the cause.  If you connect to the endpoint via SSH, you can run the below API command and see what release keys are installed:

xCommand SystemUnit ReleaseKey List

You can request a release key from the Cisco Licensing Portal, go to Get Other Licenses > TelePresence Software Release Key.  Once you have the release key, you'll need to add it though the API using SSH with the command below:

xCommand SystemUnit ReleaseKey Add

Hello Patrick,

I tried to add release key through API, it is showing successfully added but the same error persist. I tried reset to reset the syatem and reload the software but again same error occur, so I tried the upgrade using "Crypto" version and the error got resolved.

Could you please share the different between Crypto & NonCrypto?

The difference between the software packages is one supports encryption and the other does not. For every software release, there is an encryted version and also a non-encryted version cause of requirements in some countries where encryption is not allowed.

Thank You Patrick for Clarification.

I can enter the CLI for my device (MX200) but when I enter: 

xCommand SystemUnit ReleaseKey List

I get an error. When I input xcommand SystemUnit ReleaseKey ?, it says the only option is "Add" but won't list. However, on the system info (GUI) page, it says "Valid Release Key:  Yes"    How do I find the releasekey without the list function?  Thank you for any insight you can provide.  

ak
Level 1
Level 1

Thx for the answer Aman.

I got a new release key from our Cisco vendor, and successfully upgraded to TC7 now.