cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS 7.2 Compatibility

John Faltys
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone experienced one way video when in calls with PLCM Viewstations?

With 7.1, these old systems worked fine. 

Scenario

MXP registered to VCS Express 7.2

Viewstation unregistered on public ip address

MXP Calls viewstation and call comes up, but no video/audio comes back to the MXP.

I thought that since the RTP ports changed in 7.2 it might be a firewall issue (ie. port negotiated above 52399), but the firewall is allowing up to 54999.

Thanks.

33 Replies 33

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

John, what exact model of ViewStation you have?

From the log you sent me, your ViewStation is currently run with software version “Release 7.5.4 - 04 Mar 2005”.

I managed to hold one ViewStation FX which currently run with software version “Release 6.0.5 FX - 08 Jun 2005”.

With this ViewStation FX, I have no problem for establishing both initiate the call and receive the call between MXP (F9.1) and ViewStation FX registered on VCS run with X7.2 software. (enable H.239 on MXP Endpoint).

Initiate the call from MXP (F9.1) to ViewStation FX via VCS (X7.2) while H.239 is enable on MXP Endpoint.

===============================================================================

*s Call 1 (status=Synced, type=Vtlph, protocol=H323, direction=Outgoing, logTag=14):

CallRate: 1920

RemoteNumber: "109028"

Mute: Off

Microphone: On

Duration: 20

MuteOutgoing: Off

CallOnHold: False

RemoteSiteOnHold: False

MultiwayProgress: Off

Channels 1 (type=Incoming):

Rate: 1920

Restrict: Off

IPLR: Off

Encryption (status=Off): /

Audio (status=Active):

Protocol: G722

Rate: 64

Video 1 (status=Active):

Protocol: H263

Resolution: CIF

Rate: 1856

Video 2 (status=Inactive): /

Data (status=Inactive): /

Channels 2 (type=Outgoing):

Rate: 1920

Audio (status=Active):

Protocol: G722

Rate: 64

Video 1 (status=Active):

Protocol: H263+

Rate: 1856

*s/end

Receive the call from ViewStation FX on MXP (F9.1) via VCS (X7.2) while H.239 is enable on MXP Endpoint.

*s Call 1 (status=Synced, type=Vtlph, protocol=H323, direction=Incoming, logTag=7):

CallRate: 128

RemoteNumber: "109028"

IncomingNumber: "100113"

IncomingSubAddress: ""

Mute: Off

Microphone: On

Duration: 25

MuteOutgoing: Off

CallOnHold: False

RemoteSiteOnHold: False

MultiwayProgress: Off

Channels 1 (type=Incoming):

Rate: 128

Audio (status=Active):

Protocol: G722_1

Rate: 24

Video 1 (status=Active):

Protocol: H264

Rate: 104

Channels 2 (type=Outgoing):

Rate: 128

Audio (status=Active):

Protocol: G722_1

Rate: 24

Video 1 (status=Active):

Protocol: H264

Rate: 104

*s/end

Tomo,

You are right.  The FX works fine.  The ones that do not work are the Viewstation 1419 PVS.

John, as I can’t reproduce the issue in lab and capture additional log, can you take a same log (VCS diagnostic log with debug logging level) but with X7.1 to review detail negotiation between X7.1 and X7.2?

My knowledge there is no change on X7.2 this negotiation area and also VCS won’t modify the H.245 message if H.323-H.323 native and non-traversal call.

I do not have x7.1 on any of our VCS's.

Do you have VM environment for setup VM VCS with demo license (3 registration with 1 call option) which can be used for quick test?

Yes, I can setup a vm.

I will do so tomorrow.

Great, ova file for VCS 7.1 can be found at http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283733603&flowid=22561&softwareid=280886992&release=X7.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest.

VM VCS come with demo license include 3 registration, 1 traversal call and 1 non-traversal call option so you can simply register MXP Endpoint and VS Endpoint and capture the log.

You will see alert that VCS has no valid release key but you can ignore it for testing this.

Interesting post here.  Disabling content from MCU is ok as well as FX on 7.5.4 connects with no problems.  Enabling content, it doesn't, and tries forever and ever before it times out disconnects.  X7.1 all is ok with content enabled.  Will do a stare and compare. 

Tomo - Will provide you logs from X7.1 and X7.2.  Should have this in a bit. 

VR

Patrick

Tomo,

Ok, we have a VCS VM setup, but when we did a test, it is not proxying the media, so we cannot duplicate the issue.  Can we change the VCS VM into a VCS Expressway so it will proxy?

Thanks

John, no worry for captureing additional log for now. We probably now understand whatis going on.

We need a bit more time first, but I will update more infor next week.

Great.  I'm glad you know what is going on.

Is it something that you can explain, or are you still doing some testing to figure it out?
Also, for future reference; Is there a way to turn my VM VCS into an expressway without licensing it?  It would be helpful in debugging issues.

Thanks

We will need a few more test first before making a comment on this making sure we don't make people confuse.

Regarding option key on VM VCS, VCS currently doesn't support time-limit option key, so need to go licensing first.

We don’t yet have final plan what to do but just quick update as probably many people looking for update/progress on this topic.

Firstly main root cause of call connection issue is on ViewStation not VCS X7.2 software as ViewStation stop responding call negotiation between VCS.

The issue VCS strip some terminalCapabilitySet items based on the vendor and H.323 version.

The VCS added support for more video capabilities in certain H323 exchanges in X7.2, which were previously being filtered under some circumstances, however unfortunately this seems to have made the terminalCapabilitySet message towards the Polycom ViewStation larger than it can cope with (capability related to H.239).

We believe this cause ViewStation stop replying ACK on terminalCapabilitySet from VCS.

Cisco will investigate the solution but current workaround is disable H.239 (as John already verified earlier after several discussion directly with him).

Just for quick update, plan to support this again from X7.2.1. (tested in lab and result shows very promising).

Information is also available from http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCuc16057.

John Faltys
Level 1
Level 1

Tomonori,

Thank you for all your help and I look forward to testing the new 7.2.1.

Although I am sure the patch will solve the problem, the description in the Bug database is not consistent with the problem we experienced.

In our case, the viewstation was a 3rd party viewstation, unregistered.  When the call was established, it actually did connect.  However the video was one way to the Viewstation. 

Thank you