Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Search rules - dialling 'known' IP addresses

t.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a standard VCS-C/VCS-E setup, with VCS-C set to 'indirect', VCS-E set to 'direct' for calls to unknown IP addresses. This is working fine.

The problem is we have a second remote office on MPLS which has Polycom endpoints(not registered to VCS) and they can only be reached via IP address, but they are inside the LAN. I can only dial them if I change the VCS-C to 'direct' since I can see no way of creating a search rule targeting a specific range of IP addresses - it won't allow pattern matching with IP addresses!

Am I missing something here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

(Edit: Alok beat me to it )

Thomas,

on the VCS-C you can create one or more subzones with membership rules of type 'subnet' where you add the IP addresses or subnets which you wish to be able to dial directly via the VCS-C.

Any IP address which falls within a subzone membership rule for a subzone will be considered 'Known' to the VCS in question, which will allow that VCS to place the call towards that IP address directly.

This is described in the VCS admin guide in section 'IP dialing':

The VCS considers an IP address to be "known" if it either:

- is the IP address of a locally registered endpoint
- falls within the IP address range of one of the subzone membership rules configured on the VCS

In addition to this, you will need an 'AnyIPAddress' search rule for the Local Zone on said VCS.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

You need to check this thread.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3509455#3509455

you can create the subzone membership rule and this way VCS will treat ip's as known.

you need any ip-address search rule pointing to local zone.

cheers

Alok

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

(Edit: Alok beat me to it )

Thomas,

on the VCS-C you can create one or more subzones with membership rules of type 'subnet' where you add the IP addresses or subnets which you wish to be able to dial directly via the VCS-C.

Any IP address which falls within a subzone membership rule for a subzone will be considered 'Known' to the VCS in question, which will allow that VCS to place the call towards that IP address directly.

This is described in the VCS admin guide in section 'IP dialing':

The VCS considers an IP address to be "known" if it either:

- is the IP address of a locally registered endpoint
- falls within the IP address range of one of the subzone membership rules configured on the VCS

In addition to this, you will need an 'AnyIPAddress' search rule for the Local Zone on said VCS.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

t.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Well thanks guys!

I actually tried this already but the calls were still failing - I'll have to look at this again to see why, at least I was on the right track.

tom

Thomas,

can you paste the search details from the VCS for this call.

cheers

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: