cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are there known functions or entries that will stop a C-series or EX series from booting up? (Ex: 3 DNS addresses that don‘t respond, problem with system names that are too long, etc.)

Steve Deslandes
Level 1
Level 1

Again several situations when customers configure their codec themselves and then they go into a reboot loop. I can never find out what created the problem since the way to fix a reboot look is to reset the software image and then all config gets reset. Therefore, I never know what entry my customer did that created this issue.

4 Replies 4

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steve!

You can use a console cable (special type for newer endpoints like ex, ...) and check on the boot process.

It might depend on the software version which is running what you can do and what happens.

If you are able to login as root via ssh/console try to create a (empty is ok) file called noboot under tmp with:

touch /tmp/noboot

This should stop the cycling reboot, but as the main application most likely failed you would not be able

to use tsh or login as admin. (If thats not possible then the factory default might be the best way to go).

You find the config under:

/mnt/base/image1/config.db or /mnt/base/image2/config.db

Please rate the answer using the stars below

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

vivsing2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve,

There is bug in software due to which TC software crash when we have 3 DNS configured that don't respond.

This issue occur when we have following software Software Version: TC4.2.1, TC 5.0 and TC5.1 beta 4

This issue is resolved in TC5.1.1 and above.

Reason behind this issue that when Codec come up, it wait for around 80 sec to load TANDBERG software. When we have 3 DNS which are not reachable than Codec try to reach all 3 DNS, it take approx 90 sec, due to which codec faile to load TANDBERG software and reboot.

Regards,

Vivek

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just a bit additional clarification.

This issue seen if Codec configured 3 or more DNS IP address & static IP address and codec not able to communicate those “all” DNS servers.

Condition and workaround information is available from Bug Toolkit, http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtx57646.

Of course best approach is to upgrade Endpoint to TC5.1.1 or newer release which has implemented the fix.

Guess it would be nice to get some feedback from Steve, but from what I understood his

question he is aware of the bugs, but he wanted to pinpoint what exactly caused it when

he has hands on the system.

A factory default is a clear answer to the issue, but then also the traces are lost what caused it.

Tomonori, thx for bringing up the bug search, this is anyhow a good source to check on

issues, its possible to search over all, just limit it to TelePresence and the product

which has the issue: http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/action.do?hdnAction=searchBugs

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify