cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C-Series/E20 - System and Display Names

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to the C-Series admin guide, whatever you have in the "System Name" field gets overridden by the H.323 alias if one is present.  So when you're connected to an MCU or call another codec your identified by the H.323 alias, is there a way to have the system name take priority over the H.323 alias?

System Name: Enter a System Name to define a name of the system unit. If the H.323 Alias ID is configured on the system then this ID will be used instead of the system name.

According to the E20 admin guide, what and how exactly does the "Display Name" work or supposed to work?  I've tested it by putting something in the field, but when I call, the unit is identified by the SIP address of the system, perhaps I could be overlooking it or something.

Display Name: The name that you send to others when you call them.

Thanks, Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vivsing2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

I am working on this issue to understand functionality, looking for specific stuff.

I tested with following devices:

EX60 TC5.1.2

EX90 TC5.1.3

C40 TC4.2.1

EX60 TC4.2.2

When H323 alias is not configured and use only E164, than in that case when call made from TC5.x to TC4.x, we get system name on far end. I also checked that from TC 5.x/TC4.x to any device on TC5.x, it shows only E164.

So its confirm that when we have H323 alias, H323 alias override system name and there is no configuration to change it.

There was one stuff which I performed that when I entered far end entry on favorite than we get name instead of H323 alias. (Tested on TC5.x)

Regards,

Vivek

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

vivsing2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

I am working on this issue to understand functionality, looking for specific stuff.

I tested with following devices:

EX60 TC5.1.2

EX90 TC5.1.3

C40 TC4.2.1

EX60 TC4.2.2

When H323 alias is not configured and use only E164, than in that case when call made from TC5.x to TC4.x, we get system name on far end. I also checked that from TC 5.x/TC4.x to any device on TC5.x, it shows only E164.

So its confirm that when we have H323 alias, H323 alias override system name and there is no configuration to change it.

There was one stuff which I performed that when I entered far end entry on favorite than we get name instead of H323 alias. (Tested on TC5.x)

Regards,

Vivek

Yeah, I've noticed that as well with the favorites.  Too bad the system name wouldn't always be the priority, it's the main identifier for an endpoint so you'd think it would be what gets displayed.

Any idea on the display name for a SIP endpoint?

For SIP URI, we have already recent enhancement opened CSCub01177.

at the moment, EX/C-Series only inserts RPID if the endpoint is attached to a UCM.

This doesn't support with device registered to VCS.

Regards,

Vivek

It is also dependent on the remote site what gets displayed.

Patrick, do you have a actual issue with what is shown somewhere or why do you ask?

If there is an issue, could you describe the involved systems/sw versions, call flow, what you see and what you expect.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

No actual issue.  Just if someone were to bring up the participants list on the MCU in-call menu, or display particpant names were turned on, or something of the like - it will identify the endpoints by their alias and not the system name, Something that could confuse people if they had no idea of their organizations naming convention for their video conference endpoints.

Same goes for Jabber Video/Movi endpoints as well, correct?  Under TMS 13.2/TMSPE there doesn't seem to be a way to set/send a friendly display name that the MCU product line will work with in-meeting (read: RPID).

Hello Frederick!

TMS and JabberVideo are doing it correct, there you have the "Display Name Filed" which is for the friendly name.

RPID is not needed here and the VCS itsef uses P-Asserted-Identity: instead anyhow, but thats also part of the issue.

It also depends on your deployment, from what I have seen if you run the MCU in h323 only (which also has its benefits)

and let the VCS do the interworking the user@domain will be shown as the participant name.

But lets take a look if we use sip towards the MCU.

From what I noticed the MCU does seem to support the Display Name field. If you look at the sip header it

looks like that:

In this case "DISPLAYNAME" would be shown which is great.

But for movi and other local calls which passed authentication or use "treat as authenticated" the

P-Asserted-Identity: header is added by the VCS and it also seem to be used by the MCU.

The backdraw, the VCS does not seem to add the Display Name field to that header, it only looks like:

P-Asserted-Identity:

In this case the MCU shows USER which is what you most likely see by today and what you do not like.

The funny thing, in this scenario if you have a call from external, the P-Asserted-Identity should

not show up, so they would show proper on the MCU but your local calls on the same VCS or trust

group will show this behavior, ...

In theory it should also work if you would put an additional VCS upfront the MCU which strips away the

P-Asserted-Identity

I see at least two things, it might be nice to have a feature on the MCU to define what in which scenario shall be shown

and on the VCS the option to add the Displayname to the P-Asserted-Identity: header

Martin

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: