Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C20 Network port failure

Hello,

I have a C20 whose network port doesn't appear to be working.  There are no blinking lights on the port itself and "No LAN" is displayed under system information.  There is also a steady read light on the front of the unit.  Does this sound like a hardware problem requiring repairs or a configuration problem?                  

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William,

try giving it a hard reboot and check again.

to check the port, connect it direclty to the laptop using a cross over cable and assign ip on both in same range and check if it works or not.

you can also try a hard factory reset on C20

Power down the C20. This can be done by:

If the C20 is currently running, press the physical reset button and release. The C20 will power down.

If the C20 is in some type of boot loop, pull the power adapter (next to the reset button)

Once the C20 is powered down, press and hold the reset button. If you unplugged it to power it down, hold down the reset button and plug in power adapter.

After approximately 10 seconds the status LED will start blinking slowly. Release the button and push it twice within the next 5 seconds. The LED will start blinking faster indicating it is booting.

After a successful factory reset, a confirmation message will be written on the screen after the boot is complete.

William,

The red light of the front of the codec indicates that it has no network connectivity.  I would suggest trying a separate ethernet cable as well.  By default the codecs should be set to DHCP so if you run a program like tftpd on your laptop and directly connect the ethernet cable to the laptop and push a DHCP address out to it we can verify if it is able to receive any packets.  There was a tracking defect out there for bad ethernet ports on the c-series codecs -

CSCud48476 .  It is in the postponed state for now.  If we are not seeing any activity lights after trying to send a DHCP address ad we don't see any activity lights when it is plugged into the network ( and trying differetn network ports) - it sounds to me like we could have a hardware failure.  I would avoid the factory reset until you grab the logs off the device and maybe increase the debugging levels on the codec.  otherwise - finding a root cause could be next to impossible.

Kenny

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried connecting directly to the as suggested but was unsuccessful. I also tried using putty to connect to the data port but could never issue any commands. The output of the session is shown in the picture.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

William,

Unfortunately you cannot directly connect a regular serial cable into the C20 and get console access.  It require a special DB9 Y cable (part number - CAB-C20-RS232-DBG )  You may need to open a TAC case if you want to get the pinouts to make the cable or you can purchase one online.  If you have a valid contract, you may be able to get someone from TAC to get one to you as well if you absolutely need console access. I would say that in this senario you might need to open one up anywho to get this diagnosed properly.

Kenny

Kenneth,

If I am not connecting the camera is a Y cable needed?  The API guide notes that a straight through cable is needed and lists the pinouts.  The reason I was seeking console access is to attempt to gather more information about the unit.

William,

Unfortunately, yes.  The Y cable will still be needed. The unlike the rest of the cseries codecs, the C20 is the only one you cannot use a regular serial cable for to console in.  The same goes for the sx series (they have a special connector as well) and the ex series (rj45 to usb or Rj45 -tty converter- Serial).

Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: