cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C20 receive video without a camera

cl.martin
Level 4
Level 4

Is there a way to allow/force the C20 to call out without a camera but still receive the video stream.  Basically they want to watch and listen to a conference call without sending video.  I cannot seem to find a setting for this but it is already working on an existing C20 they have at another location.  I have compared the config files without any luck.

Thanks,

Chris

10 Replies 10

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What version are you using?

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Currently running at TC4.2.4.296355, this is the same version of the other C20 that is working in this "mode".

Can  you share the configuration of both endpoints? If not, inform what is configured as default main source on both C20. Also inform the maximum transmit call rate and maximum receice call rate parameters.

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Both Main source for input is Camera 1.

Both Maximum transmite call rate is 6000.

Both Maximum receive call rate is 6000.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Well, I didn't find any explicit information on documentation saying that it is necessary to have camera connected to negotiate video in an call. Theorically, C20 should negotiate video even not having a camera connected.

When you make a call from that C20 without camera, what do you see on status screen, on the audio and video statistics? Do you have any another video input connected on both C20?

Paulo Souza

The call is created as Audio only and that displays on the screen.  Looking at the call statistics it says Video Receive "OFF" and Video Transmit "OFF".  If I hook up a camera it functions without issue.. Soon as camera is removed calling into the conference bridge menu the call ends up audio only.

No other inputs are connected.

Chris

As you write conference bridge, if you use a Codian style Tandberg/Cisco Mcu

you can handle that on the MCU.

Check out the admin guide regards pre condigured participants

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dont really understand what the problem is and how it is supposed to work and what happens on the one where it does not suppose to work.

I also do not completely understand the use case, which might add confusion as well.

If I do not want the remote site to see me, I just do not attach remote speakers or a screen :-)

Or if I do not want to show a camera pic or sound I would try to not connect a camera or audio input to the local c20.

You could also mute the local mic and select for example the dvi input as the main source where nothing is connected.

This still might generate RTP video with a black screen, a way could be to use SIP-TCP, put a firewall upfront the

"Listening" codec and block all RTP traffic.

There is a way to limit capabilities regards codec selection, but I did not see any capability to differentiate in

between inbound and outbound codecs, if that would be possible you could disable all outbound video codecs.

Or you could use a MCU and define a preconfigured participant with initial muted audio and video.

Use Jabber Video and do not connect a webcam nor a audio source.

So there are many ways on how this could be addressed.

Following this point that Marting is saying, I would suggest to keep the camera connected and to configure these parameters:

Max Transmit Call rate = Set a low bandwidth value, not enough to negotiate video, but enough to negotiate audio

Max Receive Call rate = Set the normal value to receive audio and video

Paulo Souza

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As a short remark, depending on your country it might not be legal to

listen / watch / record a call while the other participants not knowing about it!