cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C20 set and Telepresence question, might sound stupid..

vdorsa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Can we say that the C20 is a real telepresence endpoint? Or is just a video conferencing ? I have heard people saying that cisco calls C20 as a telepresence endpoint just for marketing purposes and that is just a high quality video conferencing equipment and the real telepresence technology is only avaiable on equipments such as TX900, TX1300 and the MX series.

As for an exemple, a room with the C20 set talking with another room with the same set, will that be a telepresence metting or just a video conferencing one?

Thanks in advance for the comments!

3 Replies 3

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Cisco marketing types re-branded videoconferencing as telepresence, so I guess everything is telepresence these days, not to be confused with "immersive telepresence"; i.e. TX9000.

Heh, even Movi was rebranded "JabberVideo for Telepresence".

Maybe it would be more correct to call HD solutions "telepresence" and SD solutions "videoconferencing"? - in which case C20 would be a telepresence end-point...but yeah, it's all marketing hype as far as I'm concerned.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Note that much of what makes the Telepresence "experience" is due to room lightning, acoustics etc...

As the C20 can perform HD calls, the "experience" should be fine provided lighting and acoustics are acceptable.

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Nick has pointed out correctly that its the lighting and accoustics which make the experience of Telepresence a better one. According to the technical details of C20, you can see :

• SD: 576p30 (main channel / motion) or 720p10 (duo channel / shaprness)
  • HD: 720p30
  • PR: 1080p30 / 720p60. This option is required for 60 fps at any resolution.

Hence, C20 supports HD videoconferencing or Telepresence. If you have a meeting with the C20, it would meet the Telepresence Standards. Please let us know if your question is answered.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: