Views
Helpful
Replies

C40 codec loosing configuration after reboot

Simon Battye
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have a number of Cisco C40 endpoints (TC7.1.4) registered to CUCM (10.5.1).

There are some settings on the codec itself that i want to change:

• QoS Diffserv
  • NTP Server Address
  • Default call rate
  • Screen Layout

Everytime i make these changes and the endpoint gets rebooted, they restore to the default settings once its re-provisioned with CUCM, is this the normal behavior? I understand that CUCM enforces certain settings upon provisioning but i don't see the option to change what i need on the actual device within CUCM. Also understand that i should enforce a call rate within regions but this doesn't seem to be working either.

Thanks, Simon

7 Replies 7

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you run TMS?  If so, check the endpoints in there and any templates that are assigned to them.  Chances are that these settings are being pushed to your devices by a template, or via the settings within CUCM.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne,

TMS is not being used in this instance, the settings i need to change don't seem to be within the device in CUCM, unless you can change these somewhere else in CUCM?

Thanks, Simon 

Were you able to find the solution to this? I'm having the same issue with SX10's, MX300G2, and SX80's on CUCM10. After a reboot QoS and NTP are set back to default. 
I'm running TC7.3.0.8cb420c and TC7.2.0.aea6651

Take a look at the following guide, you'll need to configure the endpoints via CUCM.

Administering Endpoints Running TC72 on UCM 10.5.1

I didn't see NTP in that guide, but found an older guide where it said to do the following:

Setting a NTP Reference for the endpoints
In UCM Administration > System > NTP Reference
Configure a Phone NTP Reference for the endpoints.
*The NTP Reference must be in Unicast Mode.
*Assign to Date/Time Group, which in turn is assigned to Device Pool.

No reference to QoS though in that guide as well, but might be of interest to you just in case.

Hi,

I resolved this by removing the cucm IP address from the external manager setting on the codec itself.

Thanks, Simon

Simon -

Most of what you want to configure Simon is in CUCM, check the guide I linked to above.  By blanking out the ExternalManager address, the endpoint won't get configuration updates you intentionally make in CUCM.

As abrrymnvette mentioned, QoS settings are a system wide setting found under System > Service Parameters > Cisco CallManager.

NTP can be found under System > NTP Reference.  It must be in Unicast mode, and assigned to a Date/Time Group, which in turn is assigned to a Device Pool.

Default call rate can be found in the guide mentioned, screen layout might be as well.

I found where the QoS settings are and unfortunately it's a global setting. So, as long as you have your devices provisioned by CUCM, these settings will be set every time the devices boot. 

QoS settings are under System --> Service Parameters --> Cisco CallManager  --> and about 3/4 of the way down the page is Clusterwide Parameters (System - QoS)