Views
Helpful
Replies

C60 Dialplan

Anju Josua
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

currently i am deploying vcs with codec 60 in our customer.

they have existing video conference endpoint (polycom) in other site.

topologi is like this:

Codec ----------- (register) ---------- VCS ------ (WAN) ------ video endpoint

the video endpoints in other site are not register to VCS, usually they dial by IP.

My question is, if i register codec 60 to VCS (using H.323 or SIP), how can codec still can dial the other endpoint (by IP) that is not register to VCS?

and also, can the other endpoint call to codec 60 using IP?

i know that codec can dial point to point using IP, but if codec is registered to VCS, i still confuse in the dialplan configuration.

Is my question is clear, or need some explanation?

is there any idea?

Thank you

Regards,

Anju Josua

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Its important that there is no nat or closed video ports by a firewall in between the involved Codec, VCS-C and Polycom video endpoint.

In general the VCS-C is set to place unknown ip address calls through the VCS-E (see vcs-c/e deployment guide).

The VCS needs to know that the internal ip is directly reachable.

That happens either if the endpoint registers with the VCS-C (is there a reason why you do not simply register

the polycom endpoint to your VCS-C?)

The other option is to add a ip based local sub zone where you add your internal networks (or just the endpoints ip)

so the VCS will call the endpoint directly.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

vidutta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anju,

can you  state the VCS design again>

i guess  there should  be VCS control and expressay.

idealy there is a settings on on VCS under VCS configuration> dialplan> configuration.

> on VCS c it should be configured as indirect
and on VCS E it should be direct.
you calls should works fine to Eps which are on public network and not managed by a GK.
//VD.

Hi Vikram,

Thanks for your response.

Yes we, have vcs expressway, but it is for public network.

For video endpoint in this design, it is located in other site, but still in private network.

my idea is using call to unknown ip address in vcs control, but configures as direct.

i think it can work for outgoing call from c60.

but how about incoming call to c60, is c60 by default will receive call to its ip address?

Regards,

Anju Josua

Not an "elegant" way of doing it, if I may say so - as you now will have to change the VCS-C setting from "direct" to "indirect" each time you want to call an external IP address -  and remember to change it back again before calling the end-point at this other site. Would be much better if the end-point at the other site could register with the VCS-C as well.

As far as calling the C60, the other end-point, can, depending on make/model/software version, dial the URI address of the C60, i.e. Alias@domain (depending on how you have configured your SRV records) or Alias@VCS-C_IP_address which will bypass DNS.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Hi Jens Didriksen,

Really appreciate your response.

i still new in vcs, and never config "ip dialing" before.

can't we make a search rule for ip private (video endpoint ip address)?

so we don't need to change everytime.

Regards,

Anju

Firstly, are the C60 and the PLCM systems on the same internal network, or are these different networks?

You can test this by establishing a call between these two systems using IP addresses when the C60 is not registered to the VCS-C, (make sure CallSetUpMode is set to "Direct for this), do you get media (video/audio) at both ends?

If yes to the above, then we at least know there is a path between these two end-points.

You say you have:

Codec ----------- (register) ---------- VCS ------ (WAN) ------ video endpoint

So where does the VCS-E fit into this?

I would've expected to see something like

Codec ----------- (register) ---------- VCS-C ---FW---VCS-E----(WAN) ------ video endpoint

Where does the Polycom system sit in the above?

/jens

Hi Jens,

Thank for response again.

C60 and PLCM both in internal network, but in different country. between them there is no firewall.

for the topology:

Codec ----------- (register) ---------- VCS-C ----(WAN) ------ video endpoint (Polycom)

|

FW

|

VCS-E

| (there is nat between vcs-e and public ip address)

Public

Regards,

Anju

Its important that there is no nat or closed video ports by a firewall in between the involved Codec, VCS-C and Polycom video endpoint.

In general the VCS-C is set to place unknown ip address calls through the VCS-E (see vcs-c/e deployment guide).

The VCS needs to know that the internal ip is directly reachable.

That happens either if the endpoint registers with the VCS-C (is there a reason why you do not simply register

the polycom endpoint to your VCS-C?)

The other option is to add a ip based local sub zone where you add your internal networks (or just the endpoints ip)

so the VCS will call the endpoint directly.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Dear Martin Koch,

thanks for your suggestion about "add a ip based local sub zone  (or just the endpoints ip)"

i will try it.

Regards,

Anju

Again, can you currently successfully establish calls between these two end-points using IP addresses when the C60 is not registered to the VCS-C with media present at both ends?

Just need to eliminate potential issues such as missing routes between the two internal networks etc.

Also, you say "(there is nat between vcs-e and public ip address)" - do you have the dual-nic option key installed on the VCS-E? If not, then calls to/from external won't work.

Back to the Polycom, if you can confirm there is in fact a valid route between these two networks, then your options are as per Martins advise.

/jens

Dear Jens Didriksen,

i haven't try to establish call between codec60 and polycom because still in designing phase.

but i will try it later, thanks for your suggestion .

about NAT, yes, we already buy that license.

Regards,

Anju

Dear Jens Didriksen,

May i have extra question?

It's about call flow from external endpoint to internal endpoint.

as you see in topology above, we have vcs expressway to accomodate video call to or from external endpoint.

and as far as i know, to having call from external endpoint to internal endpoint, the external endpoint should register to VCS espressway.

if the ex endpoint already registered on VCS-E, it can dial to internal endpoint by extension or sip url.

My question is, how about call from external endpoint that is not registered to VCS-E. Can they dial to internal endpoint?

Regards,

Anju