Views
Helpful
Replies

C60 intermittent connectivity loss issue

silvanjappert1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We recently had two Dual Profile 55" units with C60 codec's installed at two offices.  Our main office there has been no issues with the unit.  Also when I do a show cdp neighbour on the 3750x that it's plugged into, one one device ID shows up.

Our branch office is having issues when the unit goes into standby.  On Occasion, it will lose network connectivity.  It will be un-pingable and won't come back unless the system is rebooted.  The codec was replaced today and I think the issue occured already once again while i'm on site this time.  However instead of doing a system reboot I unplugged the network cable from the wall and plugged it back in, then all was fine again.  When I do a show cdp neighbour on the 3750x at this location two different Device ID's show up on the same port.

Any ideas?

So far as mentioned the Codec was replaced, we also tried a different port on the 3750x.  Next might be trying different cables but doesn't seem like that could be the cause.                 

9 Replies 9

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Silvan,

Thank you for the detailed information. As I can see that you've already replaced the codec and that did not seem to solve the problem. First of all, I would like to isolate if this is a configuration issue. So, have you performed a factory reset yet ? If no, please do. Also when the codec was replaced, did you take a backup of the previous configuration and paste it to the new codec ? If yes, then there is a possibility that something could be wrong.

A key information is missing in this, we would like to know what is the software version on the codec. If it is an older version, you can try to upgrade to the latest one to make sure you're not hitting a bug.

However, the most probable cause of this might be the network causing the problem. Have you checked your network data to be reporting some sort of network problem? I would recommend that you check your switchport first. It would be a good idea to plug the device into a known working port or maybe swap it with any network device that has not reported any problem.

Last but not the least, the best way is to go through the logs which would show the last activity which took place before the codec went offline. As you have mentioned that unplugging and re-plugging has solved the problem, maybe you can do that again and then we can check the logs which are saved on the codec. However, for the last step, I would recommend that you open a TAC case and give us a chance to go through it as we would be able to dive deep into the logs and look for any suspicious log message.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Thank you for the reply.  To answer your questions.

I never did a factory reset - i figured a new codec would take care of that?  There was no backup taken of the old codec and loaded on the new one.  Right now it's a very basic setup with internal IP's only to connect via an MPLS circuit to our main office so the only configuration is IP, gateway etc and a system name.

Software version was updated. 

Software version: TC5.1.3.292001

There are no other devices at that office that have experienced any sort of network issue.  I also swapped out the network cable yesterday before leaving.

For the log files - i'll need to do that next week, i'm back at the main office again and I have no dedicated IT resource at the branch office so it's very difficult to troubleshoot but will have to manage as I can't fly back and forth all the time.

Just as an example - below is a CDP Neighbour output from the 3750x switch for the old CODEC..I get same output (different Device ID) with the new codec.  Is it normal to be showing up with two Device ID's?  because the one at the main office doesn't.

SEP00506084768F  Gig 1/0/20        147              H P   CTS-CODEC eth0

SEP005060071298  Gig 1/0/20        168              H P   CTS-CODEC eth0

Hi Silvan,

I am not sure if you open TAC case; however just wanted to add that we had some observation that Touch Panel also seems to send CDP reply due to which switch shows two neighbor.

If you opened SR, please share SR number

Regards,

Vivek

rasimyigit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is about the MTU Size or switchport Speed( Auto /100/1000 . And the MTU size on the Codec and Cisco Switch

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Here is the output for the switch interface.  It shows up and connected, however right now the Codec is not pingable.

EDIT:  MTU on the codec is 1500, speed set to Auto.

I did a Shut, and No Shut command on the switch interface and the unit came back up and was then pingable and was able to connect to the GUI along with make a test call.

TORCoreSW-1#show int g1/0/20

GigabitEthernet1/0/20 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is a44c.1130.4e14 (bia a44c.1130.4e14)

Description: Telepresence Unit 2

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:29, output 00:00:31, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

348275 packets input, 227298239 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 3858 broadcasts (3345 multicasts)

0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 3345 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

372131 packets output, 223788354 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

0 unknown protocol drops

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Hi Silvan,

In that case, I think you should now open a TAC case and submit the logs so that we can go through them to investigate the issue.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Silvan,

The output of 'show cdp neighbors' it shows two different MAC addresses in the Device ID.

I would suggest taking a look at the 'show cdp neighbors detail'. It will give you more details about the two device IDs shown in the output.

Also, is the codec assigned a static IP or is it assigned via DHCP. This could also happen if you have assigned the codec a static IP address from the DHCP pool.

Do check these and let me know.

Thanks,

Shilpa.

Hi guys,

forgot to post that the issue has been resolved.  My networking guy at Port Security enabled on that part and limited to one MAC address, according to the logging on the switch the codec was using two MAC addresses and therefor shutting down the port until the timeout expired.  I changed the port securty to allow 2 MAC's and haven't had any issues.

We have a ddts [fixed in upcoming TE/TC6 release] whereby the codec will no longer "leak" the MAC address of a connected touch panel. See following defect : CSCtz34209 -  802.1x is not handled correctly on unit with PC port and/ or Touch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: