Views
Helpful
Replies

C90 Problems

mattmcquade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My organization has deployed about 70+ C90's in various settings and we are now finding that some of them (3 so far) are catching on fire and are emitting a burning smell. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? If so, what have you done in response?

2 Replies 2

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Catching on fire? I mean if you smell something burning it may indicate that some component has fried maybe caused by overvoltage (lightning strikes or other reasons) or simply that the devices overheat due to bad ventilation or broken fans letting the PSU overheat. The devices are not working after the fried incident? Did you see smoke coming out of it? Does the event leave the device in a bricked state?

I cannot say I have seen a flow of such cases coming in. Have you considered any of the above causes?   

/Magnus

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They do run very warm, and if not installed in a way that will provide them sufficient airflow, then I guess they could overheat and cause some of the symptoms you are suggesting you are experiencing.   What is the ambient termperature of where your devices are housed (ie, in the equipment cupboard they are in), and what is it showing on them as their operating temperature?  That will give you some indication of whether they are experiencing temp issues due to the way they have been installed.  Also, being older devices, they may have ingested dust, so could possibly need a clean out.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: