cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Access E20 Root Account w/Password via SSH

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Has anyone came across an issue where they couldn't access the E20 root account with a password?  I have several that have the root account set with passwords, but I can't login, it keeps throwing back "authentication failed".  However, if I leave the password blank, I can get in.  With the password set, I can't, I've tried two different SSH programs including Putty and they all fail to authenticate, never was an issue before I updated to TE4.1.3 from what I recall.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How did you try to set the password?

Any special characters used? Can you try something which only consists of 0-9 a-z?

Did you try a factrory default reset?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

SSH as admin, "rootsetting on 1234", where 1234 is the password.

Back when I set the root accounts to be on I used $ in the password, and again today when I tested. I'll try one with a very basic password tomorrow.

Factory reset clears root account settings.

This is merely for troubleshooting purposes, to have the account enabled just in case of a device failure, though I thought it strange I can't get in now.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Darin Walker
Level 1
Level 1

I was not able to setup root access on e20s with 4.1.3. I rolled back to earlier software versions to access root (wallpaper setting)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I was not able to setup root access on e20s with 4.1.3. I rolled back to earlier software versions to access root (wallpaper setting)

Interesting, what software version?  It's been awhile since I updated to 4.1.3, that I can't remember which version I had enabled the root account with.

Found out it's a bug in the E20 software, CSCul03998.  If the root account has a password set, no matter how it's formatted, you can't authenticate or login into root.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: