cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can viewers other than the IP/TV viewer be used to recieve IP/TV streams?

cchughes
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at IP/TV, but with over 2000 users, I dont want the hassle of rolling out a new viewer app when I already have Quicktime installed everywhere.

3 Replies 3

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

I do not think you can use any other viewer for this purpose as the IP/TV Viewer is designed for Interactive sessions. Nevertheless there is nothing to lose trying though! :-)

hampton
Level 1
Level 1

Depends on several things...

1. If it's just a video/audio stream

2. How it's encoded

If you are just streaming audi/video and you are using MPEG1 you can use quicktime. If you are using a Mac, you can also download the MacTV client from www.iwitnesstv.com . It does support the question manager too.

Using just quicktime (on windows or the Mac) you can open URL and type in the rtsp://URL to the file you want. It may take some trial and error to get the file right.

Quicktime only supports MPEG1 by default, and though you can buy the MPEG2 encoder/decoder for QT it still doesn't support MPEG2 over RTSP as I understand it (though I haven't tested it one way or the other)

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The streams are "MBONE compliant;" any viewer that can decode streaming MBONE video should be able to catch the Cisco multicasts (and vice-versa, the Cisco client can catch any MBONE-style multicasts).

For example, VBrick video is viewable on the Cisco client (or at least used to be, it's been a while), and the VBrick client can see the Cisco multicasts.

FWIW

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: