cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Domain in CTS-Manager invalidate license?

Tony Beseau
Level 1
Level 1

I need to change the domain used in the existing CTS-Manager, but I am concerned if I do so the license will get invalidated and CTS-Man will be unusable until I can get a new license issued. Will the license be invalidated if I changed the domain?  I know I need to import certificates from the new LDAP and Exchange servers but I want to make sure I do not lose the license. I could not find the specific answer in the documentation. Please help.

Thank you,

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tihopper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony:

Is CTM installed on a physical server or VM Ware?

Regarding your specific question - will changing the domain name on the CTS-Manager change the License MAC, that would be no - I just tried changing only the domain name on my CTM in the lab, and after it restarted, the License MAC remained unchanged.

If you modify DNS servers, however, the license MAC will change - seen this in the field and in my lab.

As a general rule:

On a CTM installed on a physical server, the license MAC won't change if you change DNS/domain name.  It should always stay the same.

On CTM as VM, the License MAC will change only if you change certain settings.  The License MAC is generated based on certain settings, so if you change those, the license MAC will change accordingly. 

I have yet to find a list specific to CTM as to what will change the License MAC, but this should be similar to the list of items found on the CUCM side:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/vmware.html#wp1054450

HTH -

Tina

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tihopper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony:

Is CTM installed on a physical server or VM Ware?

Regarding your specific question - will changing the domain name on the CTS-Manager change the License MAC, that would be no - I just tried changing only the domain name on my CTM in the lab, and after it restarted, the License MAC remained unchanged.

If you modify DNS servers, however, the license MAC will change - seen this in the field and in my lab.

As a general rule:

On a CTM installed on a physical server, the license MAC won't change if you change DNS/domain name.  It should always stay the same.

On CTM as VM, the License MAC will change only if you change certain settings.  The License MAC is generated based on certain settings, so if you change those, the license MAC will change accordingly. 

I have yet to find a list specific to CTM as to what will change the License MAC, but this should be similar to the list of items found on the CUCM side:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/vmware.html#wp1054450

HTH -

Tina

CTM is installed on a physical server, MCS-7845-H2. If I understand you correctly, I can change the domain but not the DNS address. That seems to be counter-productive as usually different domains are normally hosted on different machines with different IP address. 

Thank you,

Tony

I think I mis-read your reply. If it is on a physical server I can change both DNS and Domain. So I should be good right?

If it's on a physical server, then yes, you should be fine, since the license MAC on a physical server is tied to the NIC only.  If, on the remote chance, you do experience a glitch with the licensing, you can always get a TAC case open and get the license re-hosted to the new license MAC.

Also, any of the backups taken on CTM also back up the License Files, so those should be backed up to an off-box location prior to any upgrades.

Tina

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: