Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8861 IP Phone - handset static/hissing noise

GISVPN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a brand new Cisco 8861 (3PCC) phone; set up and functions all ok. I have a problem with the handset - when it is being used there is a background static/constant hissing noise. This is what I know about the issue:

• It only occurs when using the handset; when on speaker phone I cannot hear it.
  • If you press the mute button while on a call it stops.
  • When using my iPhone (via Bluetooth) I don't get the same issue when using the same handset, it appears to be just for SIP calls.
  • If I touch the handset cord, it makes the static/hissing worse.
  • I have moved the phone around the office to a completely different environment (in case this was an issue to where the phone was placed) - this didn't fix the issue.
  • I have not tried a headset to see if this also suffers the same problem.

Set Up:

1. Cisco 8861 phone, powered by PoE (TP-Link PoE switch - TL-SG1008P)

Any help would be appreciated as the noise is notably really annoying.

10 Replies 10

nds-frank
Level 1
Level 1

Just deployed almost 30 Cisco 8851 phones today, having the same issues you describe.  

Only have the problem while on the handset, changed handsets, cords, and phones.  All have the same problem..  I don't hear the hissing during ringback only after the call connects.

I'd say it's a code issue, kind of like the phone is setting the sensitivity too high after a call connects..  I can squeeze the handset cord and the hiss / static fades in and out.  Let me know what you find.

Only have the problem while on the handset, changed handsets, cords, and phones.  All have the same problem.  I don't hear the hissing during ringback only after the call connects.

With regards to the above, exactly the same for me, it only appears to be after the call connects. Cisco has suggested I swap the phone out with another one, however, it sounds like, from what you have seen, this won't resolve the issue.

I dont think I can create a new technical support ticket for this under my account; do you have an account that could open a ticket to look into the issue?

Only have the problem while on the handset, changed handsets, cords, and phones.  All have the same problem.  I don't hear the hissing during ringback only after the call connects.

With regards to the above, exactly the same for me, it only appears to be after the call connects. Cisco has suggested I swap the phone out with another one, however, it sounds like, from what you have seen, this won't resolve the issue.

I don't think I can create a new technical support ticket (which is kind of crazy!) for this under my account; do you have an account that could open a ticket to look into the issue?

Well bad news..  The issue went away completely on our phones.  We've rebooted the telephones a few times for other reasons so I cannot narrow down what exactly fixed the issue.

I did notice I cannot downgrade the firmware as these are the new hardware revision that will not accept anything less than 11.7x.  If the issue happens again, I'll open a case.

Hi,

Can you tell me what firmware you are using? and the hw revision level of the phone?

Firmware for the 3PCC phones should be 11.0.0.MPP-7 or preferable 11.0.1.MPP-477 although we do see a fair amount of "old" firmware running on phones.

The hw revision level can be found on the back of the phone after the SKU (e.g. CP-8851-3PCC-K9= v01) or in the phoneUI (Settings > Status > Product Information)

Phones registered to CUCM/HCS/CME will probably run 11.7.1 or even 12.0.1

Hi Joboer,

Thanks for the follow-up. I have this on the back of the phone:

PID VID CP-8861-3PCC-K9 V03 

I could not find the information through the phone UI (could be different firmware to what you have?) but I went into settings>8. Phone Information and this may be useful too:

Active load: sip88xx.10-4-1OD-164-3PCC

Hardware version V01

PID VID: CP-8851-K9 V08

Active Load: sip88xx.11-7-1-17

I have a sticker on the back that states: "SW must be 11.7 or later"

Hi Hi Joboer,

Quick follow-up; was the information helpful? I just had a chase from the hardware team on whether to replace the phone or not. I want to if possible fix the issue without having to replace the phone to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - I wanted to check for the last time before giving up on the thread - is anyone able to help with this further?

Thanks in advance,

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

I have the same issue with one of my customers, most of their 8845 phones are making clicking noises. And actually there's an open Cisco bug on it:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvd58729/

Seems like it is affecting 88xx devices, and the issue was found out on firmware 11.7.x. But still there's no fixed releases of a firmware. But they actually state that the issue may be with the hardware (oh oh).

Anyway, I tried to upgrade the phones to a firmware of 12-0-1, but seems like it didn't help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: