Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco audio Science ceiling Mic and SX20

RobPendleton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

We have a customer that has purchased a SX20 and also a Audio Science Ceiling Mic. I had a 3.5 "4 Pin Cable" made up to extend from the Codec, But when I plug in the Audio Science ceiling Mic , I cannot be heard.

Has anyone com across this issue ?

I have checked the pin outs ...all ok.

As a thought ...Are they compatible ?

Thanks

Rob                

21 Replies 21

t.svatek
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Rob

Maybe the following could work - I haven´t tested this, but maybe you could:

notes:

• use resistors with a very low tolerance like 0,04% or lower!
  • maybe add a capacitor within both Audio lines to block DC from SX20
  • check, if 11V are enough for your mic
  • it should work for any symmetric condenser mic with xlr
  • it will not work for electret mics, like those very cheap asymmetric PC-Mics with a 3,5mm plug
  • no warranty

The disadvantage will be, that you´re not able to control the volume and that you will make the cable by your own. There may be better ways to solve this:

• Good: Use an external Phantom Power Supply
  • Better: Use an external Mini-Microphone-Preamp to get Phantom Power and sound level
  • Best: Use a C40 instead, like Martin said ;-)

Thanks

Tino

We used the schematic above, inserted 2 capacitors, and verified this works great!  My users are very happy.  Below you will see our notes/comments.  We really needed this to work, so I cut the phono plug off of the supplied SX20 microphone to make this cable.

I had to make several more of these connectors, so I sourced the 4-conductor, 3.5mm plug from digikey: PN- CP-354S-ND.  Only $7.30 ea.

There's lots of places you can get them, and $7.30 is pretty expensive.  You can get just the 4 pole 3.5mm jack for US$2.35 from Element14: PSG01490

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

If you prefer to get it ready made, you could also use the revolabs cable together with two adapters:

VendorPart #description
Revolabs07-35MBTO35M4-013.5mm Balanced Male Connector to 3.5mm Male 4 Conductor 
NeutrikNA3FJ
HosaMHE-310

Stereo Mini Female to Stereo 1/4" Male 

You can get it from www.bhphotovideo.com or other sources.

The last two adapters can be replaced by other brands if needed.

I have also found a ready-made one here, but it seems, that it has a XLR-male instead of a XLR-female - i have send a message to them regarding this.

In anyway, you´ll need an external Phantom Power supply, if the Mic needs power.

The guys from AVShop.ca confirmed, that their ready-made microphone cable for SX20 comes with a XLR-female instead of the XLR-male like shown on the photo.

They also confirmed, that they can ship the cable globally and they do also have a suitable phantom power supply if needed.

You can order it here.

thanks

Tino

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: