Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Codec & MCU Codian 4501 in CUCM 11

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We have SX20 & C40 registered in call manager 11.0. Multipoint mode in codec is Auto & in call manager is Use Endpoint. Codecs are having MultiSite license. SX20 software version is TC7.2.0 & C40 software version TC7.1.1

We have also MCU Codian 4501 registered in call manager 11.0. Codian software version is 4.5. MCU is depolyed as a Media Resource in call manager. SIP trunk is already configured between call manager & codian.

In codec & in call manager there are option of Mulpoint mode as "Media Resource Group List".  What is the puppose of this option and Is it possible that we can use codian media resource in sx20 ? 

Thanks & Regards,

7 Replies 7

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The MRGL determines what the endpoint is to use for Multisite conferencing, such as an MCU. To use the MCU with the SX20, you'll need to add the MCU into CUCM as a media resource, refer to the MCU 4.5 Deployment Guide starting on pg 36. To allow the SX20 to use the MCU as a media resource, set the Multipoint mode to use the MRGL that the MCU is added to. 

Thank you Patrick. As you said that to allow SX20 to use MCU as media resource, set the Multipoint mode. Shall i use MRGL on both devices (SX20 & CUCM)?

SX20 allows to join 3 participant in conferecne once i use MRGL as MCU do i have more space? Thanks.

The MCU media port quality would determine how many participants you can connect to at once for the quality you have your MCU set to use, refer to the Media Port Matrix in the MCU 4.5 Help Guide on pg 198-200 for reference. The values in the chart represent what you get if you have the maximum number of media ports available on the MCU, to check how many participants you can have at once on you're MCU, see Settings > Media Ports. 

Hi Patrick, I am using now CUCM MRGL in both SX20 & CUCM but still i can add 03 partcipants in conference call. MCU codian has 06 HD ports,

How are you trying to escalate the call to the MCU?

Does anything appear in the endpoint logs as to why the conference is failing?

If I don't have a Multisite license for SX20, Can I do video conferences using MCU 5320 and sx20 registered to CUCM with MRGL?

You can use your MCU for video conferencing with CUCM, refer to my first reply in this thread for the deployment guide, there is a section specifically for CUCM.