Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Conductor + 2 TP Blades

Dean O'Meara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have recently been asked if it is possible when in conference if a user who has dialled in over audio not to cause the screen to switch for the users who are in the conference using video.

We had a conference today with around 4 VC endpoints and 6 phone dial in participants and each time anyone spoke on the phone it caused all VC endpoints to see a black screen due to the auto switch feature.

I have had a look within Conductor and the TP servers but find nothing that may stop this so I am hoping I can get an answer from this forum.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Switching to the loudest active speaker is by design and can't be disabled. The audio only participants should mute their phones when not talking to prevent the TelePresence Server from switching to them if they make any noise, but I'm afraid this is always a difficult issue with this type of participant as they don't often mute themselves or realize how much of an impact background noise around them can make, it's really a matter of training and informing the users what they need to do.

From the sounds of it, you don't like the audio avatars introduced in the TelePresence Server 4.1 release, suggest you take a look at the thread and enhancement requests below, and contact your Account Manager so they can raise the issue within Cisco.  

disable-telepresence-server-8710-audio-avatar

CSCus88355

CSCuu18360

CSCuu36930

Hi Patrick,

What was the behaviour pre-v4.1?
Would an audio-only participant still consume the main video display, just without an Avatar?

Regards,

Peter

Telepresence Server 4.0 and earlier would simply show a telephone icon and the number of connected audio only participants with no indication of who those participants were. 

Would that notification still take up the main screen area when active speaker? Or would it just appear as a notification while still displaying a video participant full screen?

Peter

It was just a small telephone icon on the side of the screen to indicate audio-only participants were connected, there was no indication what so ever if any one of them were to begin speaking if I remember correct. You can see what the previous audio-only icon was in the TelePresence Server 3.1 Release Notes on 10, as well as other current status icons. 

I've created a product enhancement 'idea' on the Customer Connection forum, please vote if you would like the current behaviour to change to exclude audio-only participants from triggering a video switch:

https://communities.cisco.com/ideas/2407

Peter

Thank you.

Voted