Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Expressway softphone is not registering externally

Cisco Kbsl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Recently we have deployed Expressway C and E  managed to get MRA to work completely fine

But after that we have to change the Expressway E IP address and now the IM&P service and directory is working fine but phone service is not registering. Traversal zone is active. Do you have any idea about this problem? I have completely stuck on this problem, I have tried everything I could to fix this. I even done a factory-reset to Expressway C and E and created traversal zone again. But still the problem is same. Pls let me know any solution to this or how to troubleshoot this

Here are some info

CUCM and CIMP ver 10

Expressway ver X8.5 (first I deployed X8.2 but after this issue I upgraded it to X8.5)

Expressway is in single nic mode

Jabber in internal network working completely fine. In External (public internet) IM&P service and directory is working but softphone is not registering it gives the below error on Jabber connection status

Softphone - Unhealthy
Protocol: SIP
Address: 10.3.146.201 (CCMCIP - Expressway)
Reason:Connection error. Ensure the server information in the Phone Services tab on the Options window is correct. Contact your system administrator for assistance.

Deskphone - None
Protocol: CTI
Address: 10.3.146.201 (CTI)

Presence - Healthy
Address: ExpresswayEdge.mydomain.com
Protocol: XMPP
Port: 5222

Directory - Healthy
Address: 10.3.146.201
Protocol: UDS (HTTPS)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I do not see the REGISTER message being received in the Expressway-E or Expressway-C logs. This suggests the following possibilities:

1) The Jabber client did not send it

2) The logs did not capture the time frame that the REGISTER was sent

3) The firewall is blocking tcp 5061.

I didn't see the Jabber Problem report which would tell us what is happening. Can you provide this after recreating the problem?

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Have you tried doing a reset of Jabber from the client itself? Is port 5061 open to this new IP?

Please rate useful posts.

Yes I completely uninstalled the Jabber in windows and re-installed id but problem is same.

According to the our security expert he has given the same set of rules as old IP. Also in firewall monitoring window, it show no blocked traffic to Expressway Edge.

If some ports are blocked between between Expressway Edge and Core is it possible to show traversal-Zone in active state?

Thanks

Yes, even if the ports from internet to Exp-E are closed, the traversal-zone will come up. Can you post Jabber and ExpC/E logs here?

Please rate useful posts.

Hi George,

Thanks for the information.

Here I am sending the logs. I also included the TCP dump in here

Pls download logs with below link

https://app.box.com/s/zymrasfj8mmhzjy52xal

Regards

I do not see the REGISTER message being received in the Expressway-E or Expressway-C logs. This suggests the following possibilities:

1) The Jabber client did not send it

2) The logs did not capture the time frame that the REGISTER was sent

3) The firewall is blocking tcp 5061.

I didn't see the Jabber Problem report which would tell us what is happening. Can you provide this after recreating the problem?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Here I am sending the Jabber logs and Expressway C / E logs. Pls use the below link

https://app.box.com/s/q6gl38s1p5m4ithmt21p

Can you kindly clarify your point. Is this REGISTER message sent by jabber client to Expressway Edge? Is it on sent to port 5061? So if this is blocked, it should be blocked by external firewall?

Regards

Hi All,

Think we have found some information on this. The messages to port 5061 is not blocked by the firewall but it is most probably blocked by our ISP.

Can we change the  Expressway E listening port 5061 to any other port? I have changed it from Expressway E "Configuration -> Protocols -> SIP" to 7061 but still it doesn't work. Is there any other task to complete this?

Thanks

Hi All

Issue is resolved

Restart to Expressway E has done the trick :)

Thanks you very much Paul and George. Your guidance helped me to resolve the issue

Regards

Hi,

I'm trying to set MRA with expressway C/E 8.2 but I have problems to set

certificates. what type of CA did you use?

I 've read the guides ( cisco expressway certificate)  but no clear for me.

I have no experience with certificates so I'd like to follow the less complex option

regards

Hi Filiberto,

I used the Microsoft CA for this.

If you use Microsoft CA first create "client server" certificate template and create Expressway certificates using this template. Procedure is in 21 page in below guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-1/Cisco-Expressway-Certificate-Creation-and-Use-Deployment-Guide-X8-1.pdf

Thanks

Hi Kbsl

Hi,

I'm not good at English Please bear with me.

I have same problem too
Did you change sip listening port and restart expressway-E and then resolved this issue?
I've changed sip listening port on expressway -E and then restart Expressway-e but i still phone service is not registering. only working IM and directory service.

Do you have any idea ? 

Yes, I've changed sip listening port on expressway -E and then restart Expressway-e. Have you restarted the Jabber client? What SIP port did you change? is it 5061? 

If so try doing a telnet to SIP port on expressway -E from internet. This will confirm you have correctly changed the SIP port and on expressway -E and pot is not blocked by SP of Firewall (change of SIP port will need change if external firewall rules)

Thanks

i had this issue too, 

for me, that's because expressway can't control old 7900 series phones with sccp firmware, like: 7942, 7962..

and if i give a newest model like 7841, jabber will take control successfully..

..if this (helps) or (answered your question), please click (Helpful) or (Accept as Solution)..
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: