Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Room Kit Pro RS232 Control

BradJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having issues controlling a Room Kit Pro via RS232 (AMX).

I can send it a command/string and I can see its replying so the control cable and baud rate is correct (115200) however it is replying with and Error. The error being "User not authorized". 

I have checked the setting under SerialPort and the baud rate is set to 115200 (this is the only option), and the "Mode" is set to "On".

I have also played with setting under Peripherals - setting ControlSystems to 1, then ensuring the HeartBeat command is being sent, as well as setting ControlSystems to "NotSet" but I keep getting the authorization error as a reply.

The Codec's software version is: ce 9.6.1

Anyone have any issues/experience with RS232 control of a Room Kit Pro?

11 Replies 11

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This would be normal behaviour if you have user login set on the serial port and have not had your control system log in to the endpoint and are just issuing commands.  These won't be accepted until you do the log in.

Another option is to turn the "LoginRequired" setting on the serial port to "Off".

Note: this may require an upgrade to the CE9.8.0 software version.

From the CE9.8.0 Admin Guide:

SerialPort LoginRequired
Define if login shall be required when connecting to the serial port.
Requires user role: ADMIN
Default value: On
Value space: Off/On
  Off: The user can access the device via the serial port without any login.
  On: Login is required when connecting to the device via the serial port.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks for the reply Wayne.

From everything I've read so far, on CE9.8, it seems the that settings the "LoginRequired" setting on the serial port to "Off" is a little buggy and authentication is advised anyway.

Authentication enabled shouldn't be an issue however I just that I don't seem to be getting any prompt from the codec asking for any authentication.

I assume the codec asks for credentials, and you simply reply to it with the login details, e.g, "'Username',$0D" and "'Password',$0D".

I might be wrong here, but I cant find any API in the API guide that explains how to authenticate an RS232 connection.

The inititial serial authentication isn't using the "API" which is why you can't find anything in the API guides.

Yes, you just issue the username and the password as normal strings followed by a carriage return, just as you do with an other serial command once you are past the authentication stage.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

JFerello
Level 1
Level 1

Brad,

Prior to CE9.8, the serial port requires authentication to be used. In CE9.8 they added the option to turn "LoginRequired" on or off; however, "off" still does not work right and you must use authentication still, until CE9.9.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvq82380

Thanks,
Justin Ferello

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen on a few discussions that authentication is required, until at least 9.9 due to bugs/best practice ect.

The issue I have having now is I cant find the API strings/commands to be able to input authentication. I can see all sorts of xConfiguration login commands but these are specific to certain services i.e. H323 gateway, SIP, HTTP Proxy, ect.

And these also seem more for setting the details rather than recalling them for login purposes.

Do you perhaps know the xCommand API for recalling/inputting login details? Basically, how do I authenticate my AMX controller via RS232 to the codec?

Cheers,

Brad

@BradJ wrote:

Do you perhaps know the xCommand API for recalling/inputting login details? B

There isn't any xCommand to do so.

When you connect you should be prompted to log in (ie with a "login as: " prompt, followed by a "Password: " prompt).

Once you have logged in, you will be able to issue the commands you want to use (assuming the user you are logging in as has the rights to issue such commands.  I'd suggest you create a separate user account on your device with the "Integrator" role to be able to do the majority of what you need to do.

Wayne

Georg Kehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi 

My AV Integrator has the same problem,

SW CE9.6.2

but if there make the connection with AMX, codec is not asking for user/password, strange.

So there is also no chance to set Login Required.

The Solution is only to switch USB /Serial converter

or any other Ideas?

Best Regards

Georg

Dear all

It seems to be my AV Integrator has found the Problem.

Normmaly we have the default uses "admin" with some right on the codec, but without Room Control/Integrator rights.

We have set for "admin" all rights, have made a restart of the Codec.

and now AMX are receive now username and password and can login!

If you have not set the full right for the "admin" user , you are connect on the RS232 port directly without loign , but the right are limited.

Maybe other can check this also and have the result.

Best Regardsa

Georg 

Thanks Georg.

Unfortunately I am still not getting the logon prompts. What I do get is the following replies once the codec fires up:

String From [5001:1:1]-[$00]
String From [5001:1:1]-[$0D$0D$0A$0D$0D$0A]
String From [5001:1:1]-[Welcome to ANZ-Raranga-L7-Atrium-Video-Wall-VC$0D$0ACisco Codec Rele]
String From [5001:1:1]-[ase ce 9.6.1 4516ae5aaa1 2018-12-12$0D$0ASW Release Date: 2018-12-12]
String From [5001:1:1]-[$0D$0A*r Login successful$0D$0AOK$0D$0A$0D$0A]

As you can see, it says Login Successful, but I have not inputted any information as of yet and have not been prompted to do so.

I have checked and reset the admin user roles and it has all the roles set, nothing restricting it.

Thinking we may have to upgrade the software and try again!?

Thanks again,

Brad

There's a bug (CSCvq82380) which is fixed in the as yet unreleased CE9.9.  If you are part of the EFT program, you should be able to get a copy of the new software for testing..

In the meanwhile, make sure the "LoginRequired" is set to On and then authenticate with a valid username and password.

Wayne

CE9.8.1 has now been released and addresses the bug.

Wayne