cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SX20 Password Prompting

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We are testing a 3rd party system with our SX20.  Is there a way to disable password prompting for SSH/Telnet?  I see where this can be done, but cannot find out how to disable it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't think it's possible, I tried to set a blank password for an account on the codec and still got a prompt for password even through it was blank using SSH.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi,

Just as a comment, since we are also working partially with 3rd party Touch Panels only supporting telnet....

just for security reasons, we are changing them to Touch 10" now.

Instead of thinking how to disable a login prompt, you more should consider to change to some device at least supporting ssh, nothing less....

Securing devices is already a point.......

rg, Hans

This did not answer my original question.  Can password prompting be disabled on the SX20 for either SSH or Telnet?  Yes, or no? Thanks.

I don't think it's possible, I tried to set a blank password for an account on the codec and still got a prompt for password even through it was blank using SSH.

That is kind of what I was thinking also.

I tried it with Telnet, still got prompted for username and password, even though no password was set.  Doesn't look like what you want will work, as it will always prompt you to login.

Because the SX20 isn't an integrators codec, there won't be much support in the way of 3rd party devices.  You can make a RS232 serial connection, but it would require a USB to RS323 adapter to connect to the USB port on the SX20.  See the SX20 API Reference Guide for more details.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I was looking up something for another discussion, and found the following in the TC6 Release Notes:

Password always prompted on Telnet and SSH.

When signing into the video system using Telnet or SSH, the password will always be prompted. This applies even when the password is empty (not set).

Yes, I saw that same thing so it does not look like thats an option.

Yeah, it's not possible, as it's always going to prompt you no matter what.  I just happened to see that and figured I'd post it since it was listed in the TC6 release notes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: