Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SX80 - Using Sony SRG-300HW cameras

Craig Upton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a client that's ordered a Cisco SX80 with a Precision 60 Cam and they wish to add two Sony SRG-300HW cameras to the system for a total of three cameras. The reason for the different cameras is they have to be ceiling mounted and able to point directly down to a operating table.

My question is - can the SX80 control via serial / visca the three cameras? 

From what I have seen the stock camera that comes with the Cisco SX80 does not have a serial pass through and there's little information available to confirm this. In turn why I am asking about this here to see if anyone has had any experience with alternative cameras with the Cisco SX80 and various configuration ideas.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Craig

6 Replies 6

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Camera control for the SX80 / Precision 60 is done over the camera's ethernet connection, not the old Serial connection the old ones used for the Visca camera control. You should be able to connect the Sony cameras to the serial connector seperate to the Precision 60 (similar to how you would for the older PrecisionHD cameras).  See the SX80 Physical Interface Guide.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi!

>>>See the SX80 Physical Interface Guide.

Thank you. SX80 has serial connection and 4x camera will work but it is not clear if it supports daisy chaining or not. There is nothing about VISCA daisy chaining. So it is unclear if one can connect 3 cams in such config:

codec -> PHD 4x -> PHD 12X ->PHD 12x. 

I hope someone from Cisco helps?

Yes, you can daisy chain the older cameras and control them over the serial control cable/daisy chain.  You need to seperately power each of those cameras though as there's no DC power provided on the SX80 camera serial port.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne.  I have spoken with Cisco TAC and they confirmed this all on their test bench. Very awesome!  I always power cameras over distance using their own PSU to ensure it's reliable. I shall report back once we've completed this job as it's in a remote location in the middle of Australia.

No worries.  Good luck with your install - being for South Australia, I know what it's like to do installs in some of those remote locations - we've done a number ourselves (Coober Pedy, Ceduna, APY Lands).

Wayne
--

Wayne
--

The old 4x cameras btw, did not seem to support daisy chaining and hat to be at the end of the chain.

An other option could anyhow be for the phd example to use ethernet.

I never tried it myself but how I understood it you could connect a switch

to the second port of your sx80 and connect the three cameras to that one.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: