cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Telepresence Content Server without registering to H323 Gatekeeper or SIP Registrar

agito229cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Telepresence Experts,

My customer want to buy SX20 with Multisite License and he needs Recording fuction to record the video conference call.

All he needs for the video conference is the endpoint and the recording server.

He does not want to buy any other server such as CUCM, VCS, external MCU, and TMS.

As we know, the recording function in Cisco Telepresence solution is supported by Cisco Telepresence Content Server (TCS).

I also read in some materials about Cisco TCS. There is field in Cisco TCS configuration that ask about registration to H.323 gatekeeper or SIP registrar. And as we know, H.323 gatekeeper or SIP registrar capability is usually provided by Cisco VCS or external MCU.

What I want to know is whether it is possible for Cisco TCS to function properly to record video call session in SX20 (Multisite license enabled) without the need to buy Cisco VCS or external MCU?

Or if it really need H323 gatekeeper or SIP registrar function, can Cisco 2900 Series with gatekeeper functionality cover this?

Really need the advise from all of you.

Thank you in advance

16 Replies 16

Hi

I'm also interested with this topic.

Can Cisco Telepresence SX20 make a recording with just only Cisco Telepresence Content Server (TCS)

Any feedback?

Best regards

Syahrir

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In short, yes you can use a TCS without VCS, however you will be very limited in how you can use it.  You'd have to setup a template and recording alias, then set that alias as the default recording for incoming calls that doesn't specify an alias (because you aren't using a VCS etc).  If you were using a VCS you could use the TCS to it's full capacity of being able to recording multiple conferences at once, however without a VCS you can only record one at a time.  This has been discussed several times in the forums, do a search and you'll find some suggestions.  Some say you need a VCS, it is required to really take advantage of the TCS, however you can manage to do what you want, just be prepared for the very limited capability of the TCS of recording only one call at a time using a single template always.

If you don't want to, or can't purchase a VCS for whatever reason.  This is thinking outside the box, but you could install a VM VCS and use it in demo mode, it's limited to 3 registrations only without purchasing a valid release key for it, but it's a thought.

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your answer.

It cleared up the question on SX20 recording with only TCS.

So from your explanation, the correct deployment of recording to its full capacity is as follow

SX20 + VCS Control + TCS

Is this correct?

My next question would be on scenario, using the built in multisite features on SX20, what would be the resolution of recording of

1. SX20 point to point call --> is it 1080p (with Premium Resolution Option for TCS LIC-TCS-PRO enable)

2. SX20 multipoint call --> is it 576p or 1080p ?(max resolution for SX20 is only 576p in multipoint call)

Best Regards

Syahrir

To use the TCS to full capacity with 10 recordings, 2 of them being live capable, yes a VCS would be required.  Without one, you'd be limited to a single recording alias (can be live or not), and single template tied to alias.

Answers to your questions:

1) If the TCS has the PR option key and the call is using the required bandwidth to transmit 1080p resolution, yes.

2) Resolution of the recording will be based on max transmitted resolution of the call, so if SX20 multipoint is 576p, that is what will be recorded.

Hi Patrick

Thanks you for your answer, it answer all my doubt.

Best Regards

Syahrir

Patrik, I need to sort out the next task. I have two codes SX20 and I need to record a videocall  and sharing content between them. Do I need to purchase only TCS for this goal? Or do I need to obtain MSE 3500 too?

TCS is what you want, if one of the SX20's has a multisite licenses, you can host the 3-way conference on it, or use an external MCU or TelePresence Server.

MXE 3500 is used to convert videos to other formats for distribution as well as add branding etc, it's usually used when Show and Share is involved.

Patrick, will I be able to download recorded files, store inside TCS or back up recorded session to another storage? I'm wondering about limitations without VCS. I've spotted BE6K-VMTCS-1R-1L (TelePresence Content Server 1 Record and 1 Live)  recently. Will I be able to use recording without VCS if I obtain this license inside BE6000 deployment? 

VCS is a requirement to have all features of the TCS, however as you've probably seen in this discussion, it is possible to use the TCS standalone without VCS, but with limit capabilities.  Coming in the next TCS release 6.2, you'll be able to use CUCM as well as VCS for call control.

As far as I know, I can wait for release 6.3 on April, because TCS is avaliable for a configuration of R-CBE6K-K9.

Here are the upcoming features of TCS 6.2, which include CUCM integration as well as BE6k and BE7k releases as well.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/telepresence-content-server/partner-presentation.pdf

Patrick Sparkman, will Content Server support a record of usual calls and audioconferences  between Cisco Phones? I mean a scenario when there are CUCM, SX20 and Cisco phones inside a customer's deployment . The customer hires ports MCU to talk with his partner. Which product does support a record of videoconferences, audioconferences and usual calls?

The TCS can support recording video and audio calls either hosted on an MCU or directly from an endpoint.