Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco TelePresence Design help

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have one SX20 codec with multisite license. Now, i want to know that what are the ways to configure it.

As per my knowledge, it can de configured as below:

Standalone

VCS

CUCM

Can anyone explain me what are the differences between these options?

3 Replies 3

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Stand-alone: Other people can only call you using the public IP address of your system. You can call other people by either using their public IP address or, if your software version is TC4.2 later, using alias@domain if their system is registered with a CUCM or VCS.

CUCM: SIP only, people can call your system using alias@domain and vice versa.

VCS: SIP and H.323 calls. You can dial other sites using public IP addresses or alias@domain. Other sites can call your system using either SIP or H.323 using URI dialling; alias@domain or alias@VCS_IPaddress.

Please note you will need a VCS-C/VCS-E combo if you want secure firewall traversal.

You will, if you want people to call you using alias@domain, also have the appropriate SIP and H.323 SRV records in place.

./jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Thank you very much for your detailed information.

We have TANDBERG VCS Release X6.1. Its VCS E or C?

We can also add VCS in CUCM and/or SX20?

First of all 6.1 is very old, latest release is 8.5.3, I would seriously consider upgrading.

Impossible to tell just from the software version whether it is C or E, log in to the web gui and it will say, if it is a VCS-E, "Video Communication Server Expressway" at the top of the page.

You can't add VCS to CUCM, you'll need to create a sip trunk between the two if you want to use both.

SX20 can register to either one, however, it requires different software versions, so you can't just swap registrations from CUCM to VCS and vice versa without installing the appropriate software version first.

/jens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: