cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VCS Appliance CE1100 first boot issue

mecharek1
Level 1
Level 1

We have and issue with 3 new VCS appliance, after the power on at first boot the system stuck at the level as showed in the PDF attachement and there is no prompt for installation wizard.

12 Replies 12

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
The image taken doesn't show the entire screen, so can't see the last lines of the output.
What happens if you hit Enter?

the screen is fixed at this point: IP_table and ip6_table . nothing happens when I press the enter key or CTRL ALT DEL.

Regards.

Have you solved it? I have the same issue.

Hi,
not yet, I will replace them because they are under warranty.

I couldn't find anything that would help explain what you're seeing.  If it's not booting completely after a while, even after following all steps in the VCS CE1100 Appliance Installation Guide, recommend you contact TAC, it could be a configuration or even a software/hardware issue.

Dear,
Did you solve this issue as I have same ?
Please tell me the action to get it fixed .
Thanks
Remob

Remon Adel
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have same issue , did you solve it and how ?

Or that will need RMA ?

Thanks

Remon

I've solved it. We must connect a console cable to set up the bootup wizard. After that we can see the CLI via KVM.

Hello,

I was connecting Console cable to screen and keyboard , booting stuck as attached screen shot before set up wizard appeared to us.

Please tell me if there's another missing step should I do to get it fixed?

Thanks

Remon

The CE1100 and CE1200 require that you connect via CONSOLE cable even if you entered the CIMC setup correctly.  When connecting via console cable connect at 115200 baud 8,n,1.  Once there you will see the screens for the setup of the device and can enter the LAN1 IP mask and gateway and enable SSH and WEB interfaces.

New CE1100/CE1200 Appliance require to complete Secure Install Wizard before admin able to access system via Web GUI/SSH.
To complete Secure Install Wizard must be done from console.
This console connection will be 1) console connection back of UCS server, or 2) Serial over LAN (disable on default) control by CIMC.

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From X8.9 software release, introduce “Secure Install Wizard” which require to complete the initial setup on the system console.

All accounts on the Expressway/VCS are disabled upon first boot until the installation is complete.

The system is also not accessible over the network interface until the installation has been completed and secured.

New install (including factory reset or reset by IRP on CE1100) CE Appliance stop after “Netfilter Core Team” line print out on KVM console and Expressway (or VCS) application doesn’t boot up.
This caused by accessing wrong console port on CE Appliance.

CE Appliance based on UCS has multiple “console” connection.
Method 1: Console connection back  of server
Method 2: Console connection by using 3 legs KVM connector (connecting KVM port front of UCS)
Method 3:  KVM Console via CICM
Method 4: Serial over LAN (disable on default) control by CIMC

KVM Console connection method 2 and 3 are NOT serial connection to Expressway (or VCS) application.

Only method 1 or 4 connect to Expressway (or VCS) application and allow to run the initial secure installation wizard.

Therefore setting up CE Appliance via KVM console (method 2 or 3), application is waiting administrator input to complete the initial secure installation but won’t see it on console.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: