cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VCS: Can you change the root password from within the Admin TSH?

David Anstee
Level 4
Level 4

I know that you can reset the "admin" account passwords from root, by running tsh, but can you change the 'root' password from within the 'admin' tsh?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

No you can't changed it untill and unless you follow the documented procedure to reset the password using console.

however you can go to t-shell from root using "tsh" command and configure a new admin account and then login to VCS admin GUI with new admin and reset the password for default admin account.

Thanks

Alok

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi David,

My name is Mubashshir and I am from the Telepresence Support Team. Yes, you can change the root password. Use the following command to change the password :

systemtools rootsettings on (where password is the one that you would like to change to).

Hope this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Mubashshir, no, thats for endpoints, he was talking about the VCS.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No, you can only change the root password via the root login or with the password recovery procedure

during boot time via the serial port.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Oops, dint check the heading. Thanks Martin. Not sure about the VCS.

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

No you can't changed it untill and unless you follow the documented procedure to reset the password using console.

however you can go to t-shell from root using "tsh" command and configure a new admin account and then login to VCS admin GUI with new admin and reset the password for default admin account.

Thanks

Alok

Thanks for the reponses guys, I knew I have changed the root password via the admin CLI before, but it must have been on a C-series endpoint no the VCS. Thanks for the clarification.

I know you can reset it via Serial and pwrec, but unfortunately the system is in a data centre miles away, so not that simple

It would be really great to add the same CLI command into the VCS as it is very useful in these types of circumstances.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: