Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Webex Room OS vs CE Software

WeiKwongOng5555
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Understand that Cisco Room Kit supports both Cisco Webex Room OS and Cisco Collaboration Endpoint (CE) software.

Which OS does the Cisco Room Kit come with by default?

What are the differences between Cisco Webex Room OS and Cisco Collaboration Endpoint (CE) Software?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Eric Ingram
Level 4
Level 4

When you purchase the room kit it comes with a version of CE code likely depending on when it was manufactured.  I've see some with CE9.6 and some higher out of the box.

The Room OS is managed by Cisco cloud via control hub and the software are pretty similar except for any cloud supported features. 

Is there something specific you are looking for.

jscroggins0311
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering the same thing, what are the differences between CE vs. RoomOS. Is there a reason to go with one over the other? Our current setup is everything is registered on prem to our Call Manager and dual registered to Control Hub using the Device Connector. We are currently running 9.14.5, I see 9.15.3.17 is the current recommended version along with RoomOS 10.3.2. Was just wondering which I should upgrade to?

CE is at it’s end of the road, version 9.15 is the last version to be released as per shared information from Cisco. RoomOS will be the future path forward.

As you have on-prem devices that are made cloud aware with the Edge for devices functionality you can if you want opt-in to the cloud update for software on your video devices. This would get the RoomOS installed and further on maintained via the monthly version updates that is published via Control Hub.

Response Signature

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Essentially it's a name change - what was "Collaboration Endpoint" (CE9.x) is now "RoomOS" (CE10.x).  The new version is only supported on the newer models of endpoints - the old version will still need to be used on the older (SX/MX/DX) endpoints.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.