Views
Helpful
Replies

Clearing Errors when using Cisco with 3rd party devices

PatrickG_SF
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I appreciate how quickly the Cisco collaboration devices are adapting to the needs of modern conferencing, including their ability to interact with 3rd party devices. 

The one issue that keeps bothering me are the error warnings, which I can't clear. The web page for the units we commission are generally accessible to the client, which they often provision as well. We are usually in charge of tuning and optimization. I continue to leave these systems working perfectly, but with multiple errors, which I would love to see cleared. 

I just looked through 4 forum posts about using 3rd party cameras, to finally find the one thing I needed: clearing the 'no camera detected error' (which I did with his command over SSH - xConfiguration Peripherals Profile Cameras: 0).
Did this issue not exist for everyone else, or do they just no care about the warnings? I'm surprised that this isn't the very next question on the other posts, which is making suspicious that my approach is incorrect here.

Are there commands to clear the following warnings (the room is working perfectly fine):

"AudioPairing - self token not decoded"

"The network connection is not working as expected. An unsupported captive portal or a similar entity is detected."

And then, can somebody explain how I'm getting these two commands simultaneously? Doesn't seem to make sense, unless I'm missing something:

"Audio Pairing - Low Signal to Noise Ratio"

"Microphone Overload"

I should add the mic input page shows no signal (inactive) when the mic is on but not being spoken into, and does not hit the overload when I speak. If I raise the mic input volume that receives the audio from the DSP, it reports as an overload. If I use Sound check, and the mic is too low, I get the above errors. Should I even need sound check with 3rd party devices.

I am also getting the self token error when not using a DSP, but using 3rd party mics with a room kit (not Plus or Pro). And, the Sound Check does not play through the line out, even though the room calls works perfectly.

Are there CLI commands to clear the above errors, or should I just live with them? Or am I missing something further here?

Thank you,

3 Replies 3

Bobby McGonigle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @PatrickG_SF 

I can touch upon a few of your issues, but a lot of this does depend on your room's design. You can also access all of these xApi in the Web GUI of the device, which should be a simpler interface to work in and explore the endpoint.

Errors

Error: no camera detected error

Related xApi: xConfiguration Peripherals Profile Cameras

Setting the Peripheral Profile Cameras is the correct move 

- The CODEC by default assumes that you are using a compatible Cisco camera. This feature is great if a Cisco Camera loses power or is disturbed and helps an admin get notified and fix the issue. But with 3rd party cameras, setting this to 0 is necessary to remove the error.
- If you are using both a compatible Cisco Camera and a 3rd party camera, keep this set to the # of Cisco cameras you have connected. Always good to have been with mixed cameras.

Error: AudioPairing - self token not decoded

Related xApi: xConfiguration Proximity ModexConfiguration Audio Ultrasound MaxVolumexConfiguration WakeupOnMotionDetection

- The CODEC is unable to identify decode own remote pairing ultrasonic signal. This could be interrupted by a DSP. The DSP is most likely trying to Echo-Cancel this ultrasonic frequency, and the DSP is unable to completely cancel this signal out.

-  If proximity wireless sharing is not needed and if motion detection is not needed, disable these on the endpoint to help clear the error and set the Max Ultrasound to 0.

- If you need these features, then you can have your DSP ignore Echo Cancellation on audio with frequencies between 20kHz-22kHz

- We do from 19.5kHz and up and it always works well for us
- Using 3rd party Microphones, well that depends on the Microphone. This ultrasonic signal rests between 20kHz-22kHz so if the Microphone can't pick up in that range, the the microphone is most likely the issues.

- I'm a big fan of the Cisco Microphones, so unless you have a compelling reason or need to switch, stick with them. But Shure works well too.

- Having a Cisco Microphone in your Tool box as a control is good to verify if the system is working as intended. So if you run into an issue using a third party microphone, try a Cisco one briefly to see if this error persists after a restart.

Error: Microphone X Overloaded

Related xApi: xConfiguration Audio Microphones PhantomPower

- This most likely a DSP's fault. By default each Microphone input on the CODEC has phantom power enabled. You may want to disable this on the endpoint to stop the overload or change how the DSP is sending audio to the CODEC.

- If you continue to see the overload as an issue, try a restart after that config change, try another input or open a case with Cisco TAC

Error: The network connection is not working as expected. An unsupported captive portal or a similar entity is detected.

- Best answered in this thread

https://community.cisco.com/t5/telepresence-and-video/cisco-sx-20-showing-captive-portal-detected/td-p/3681049

If you find yourself using the same config changes over and over again, build a Macro. That way you can import these changes on each room you work on. Almost like having a digital tool bag for all your jobs

Questions/Statements

"And, the Sound Check does not play through the line out, even though the room calls works perfectly."

- So the audio of the call, and assuming shared content audio, play through the Line out just fine even when the sound check fails?

- I'd open a TAC case on this, unless you can describe this a bit more. The sound check should work so long as the system is configured properly

"Are there CLI commands to clear the above errors, or should I just live with them? Or am I missing something further here?"

- You can work to resolve most errors on the Cisco endpoints, but not all can be and can be ignore so long as the system if functioning as intended. Some of the customer facing errors should be handled, as to no create concern, but for admin facing error, you could make a note to the local admin team that this is a caveat to this rooms integration.
- Just be sure your endpoint is up to date, and you've tested the system thoroughly before commissioning a space. 

One Last Note

If you don't need to integrate, don't integrate. Cisco Room Devices, depending on the model, are very robust and integration should only be implemented on an as needed basis. Take a dive into the data sheet, the xApi and the Macro editor and you'll see a ton of ways to make these systems dance for you. My team only integrates when we have a function the can not be completed by the endpoint is needed .

Keep It Simple and Good Luck!

Bobby McGonigle
(He, Him, His, Himself)
Video Services Engineer, EU Svcs Communication & Collaboration Services

Bobby, thanks for going over this in detail.

Yes, AEC would be cancelling the ultrasound but why do I see the signal on the DSP when proximity is disabled and the Ultrasound volume is set to 0 and Static? I don't want ultrasound or anything having to do with it.

We integrate when needed, and don't when not needed, but thanks for the advice. We have a good design team.

What I was looking for were SSH or serial commands I could send to the codec to disable some of these warnings. The TLDR for me is that some of these warnings should be just lived with, and we will instruct our clients to do so in the future.

Thanks,

I had this Error: Microphone X Overloaded and your phantom power disable solution worked. Thanks.