cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clock widget wrong on C40

Darren McKinnon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who has an Sx20 and C40 on the same LAN pointed to the same NTP server, but only the SX20 is displaying the correct time.. the C40 is off by about 41 minutes.. I've tried other time servers, and upgrading the software (currently 7.0 2) but nothing will cure this.. i have disabled the NTP settings altogether, but my client would like for it to be rectified if possible.

Any ideas what could be happening?

Darren

35 Replies 35

Try changing the NTP Mode from Auto to Manual to see if that helps at all - if it's set to Auto, it could be getting an NTP server from DHCP (or none at all) which will override the setting you have.  Forcing it to Manual will make it use the one you specify.

I'd also be pointing to a NTP server that is more local (on the local LAN, or at your ISP) rather than back to the default Tandberg one.

The output from the systemtools ntp is showing that it's only using the time as defined on the local codec and has not connected to an NTP server.

When it's syncing with an external server, you get another line in the output (capture of one of mine below):

systemtools ntp
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
 127.127.1.0     LOCL            10 l    -   16    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
*10.108.129.40   10.154.7.18      2 u  388 1024  377    1.380    0.717   5.589

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I just discovered how to do a ping from the ssh connection, and it fails to from both the C40 and SX20.  I tried 1.ntp.tandberg.com, and a ping between both systems.  I had thought that my network was fine since I could register to the VCS fine, but obviously I was mistaken.  Thanks Wayne for the suggestion to try a ping.  I've sent my findings to the network architect for further review.  

Darren

Just because you can't ping doesn't necessarily mean there's a network issue - especially if you're trying to ping something externally (ICMP could be blocked by your firewall) - but internally it's usually not a problem and can highlight issues with the IP configuration, DNS resolution issues, etc.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

You shouldn't rely on ntp.tandberg.com - that's not a guaranteed service

If you don't have any dedicated NTP servers, you can point at a a domain controller in your organization as they act as NTP providers too.

Make sure your NTP mode is manual and just put in the IP address of your domain controller or pick something from a public NTP pool as described here - http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

Hi ,

i have the saem issue i look in the firewall mybe it's block . i cannot see from there my shows see >

systemtools ntp
*127.127.1.0     LOCL            10 l   14   16    1    0.000    0.000   0.002
 10.1.28.200     GPS              1 u   13   16    1    0.414    0.077   0.002

---------------------------------------

OK
XSTAT // NTP
*s NetworkServices NTP Address: "10.1.28.200"
*s NetworkServices NTP CurrentAddress: "10.1.28.200"
*s NetworkServices NTP Status: Discarded
** end

i change for capels  ntps no luck .  do i have some configurion that i can do ?

systemtools network ping <hostname>

Hi

Could you please upgrade the software version  TC7.3.20

Because I’m suspecting a bug that affect (TC7.3.10 and higher) software that have the same symptoms

For more details about the bug please find the link below:  

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvj18256

That looks very much like the codec can't talk to (or receive a response from) the NTP server.

If you're using a DNS name for the NTP Server - have you tried using the IP address instead (to determine if it's a DNS related issue)?

Next thing to look at would be checking basic network connectivity and firewalls.

Is the IP address / Subnet Mask / Gateway Address correct?

Can you ping from the codec successfully (to itself, to the gateway, to something off the local subnet, to the NTP server?

Does the network/firewall allow access to the NTP server/port - and allow the response back in to the codec?

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

I have verified that both the C40 and the SX20 have the same gateway and subnet mask.  I also checked with the network security team to verify that there was nothing strange about the port the C40 is connected to that would block this traffic.

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Did this ever get resolved?  I am having the same issue.  My C40 shows that NTP status is synced and the date time are correct when I run systemtools ntp, but the Date/Time widget is off. 

Thanks,  Mike

No, I never did get it resolved, but that was because my endpoints are in my DMZ, and there was no time server to reach.  The firewall was blocking public NTP servers, so I ended up just disabling NTP and setting the time manually at the codec.

If you device is connecting correctly to the NTP server, and you can see that it's syncing, ie

systemtools ntp
*10.108.129.40   10.154.7.10      2 u  399 1024  377    1.458   -0.157   8.716

Current time in UTC is: Wed Nov  5 23:18:34 2014
Current time in CST is: Thu Nov  6 09:48:34 2014

Then if the clock is still showing the incorrect time, it's likely that you have your time zone set incorrectly - does the time and time zone show correctly similar to the last two lines of the screencap above?  Are you able to post the output from your "systemtools ntp" command?

Wayne
--

Wayne

You'd think that if the codec was saying it was synced with NTP, it would show the right time on the widget, right?  ;)  It's not a timezone issue.  Timezone is set correctly, but time is off by a random amount and the date is showing Dec 31.  Thanks!

systemtools ntp
*97.107.129.217  129.6.15.28      2 u  220 1024  275   12.014   -0.558   0.596

Current time in UTC is: Wed Nov  5 23:33:50 2014
Current time in EST is: Wed Nov  5 18:33:50 2014

OK
xstat // ntp
*s NetworkServices NTP Address: "us.pool.ntp.org"
*s NetworkServices NTP CurrentAddress: "97.107.129.217"
*s NetworkServices NTP Status: Synced
** end

OK
xstat // time
*s Time SystemTime: "2014-11-05T23:34:54Z"
*s Time ZoneOlson: America/New_York
** end

Are you using the Cisco Touchpanel?

If, How is that deployed, in your local network or directly connected to lan port2.

Does it make a difference if you try either or?

I assume that the time info posted is showing the correct time, its just the touchpanel which is wrong?

Do you have IPv6 in your network? Would anyhow try to set the codec to version 4 only.

Do you have any NTP servers in your network with a wrong time sending out time info via broadcast / mutlicast?

Which software version do you use, in doubt try with the latest wich is TC7.2.1

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

No touch panel.
Time reported by the CLI is correct, its the OSD date/time widget that is wrong.
IPv4 only.
The customer reports they don't have a local NTP server.  We are using us.pool.ntp.org.
We are on 7.2.0 and I am upgrading today.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: