Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clustering Different MCU Series

I have a customer with and old and a new MCU, he would like to cluster both of them to have maximum ports.

OLD MCU: 4510 Version: s4.1(1.51)

New MCU: 5320 Version 4.4

As per the new version 4.5, its supports both MCU's.

My questions:

1.) If I upgrade both MCU to the same version, can I cluster them.

2.) If I dont upgrade the OLD MCU, is there anyway I can cluster them.

Also do I have to have a cluster support key for it work.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's not possible to cluster different MCU models, all MCUs must be the same model in order to be clustered, the only exception to that is is the MCU 5000 Series where you can cluster different models. Just because the MCU software supports clustering, doesn't mean the hardware does, refer to the specific MCU model to see if it supports clustering. Clustering MCUs together does require an option key, however with the MCU 5000 Series it requires a stacking cable, if the MCU supports clustering refer to its deployment guides on how to create a cluster. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's not possible to cluster different MCU models, all MCUs must be the same model in order to be clustered, the only exception to that is is the MCU 5000 Series where you can cluster different models. Just because the MCU software supports clustering, doesn't mean the hardware does, refer to the specific MCU model to see if it supports clustering. Clustering MCUs together does require an option key, however with the MCU 5000 Series it requires a stacking cable, if the MCU supports clustering refer to its deployment guides on how to create a cluster. 

Thanks Patrick.

Can you please provide me the documentation that states it can not be done.

Refer to the "Clustering" section of the MCU 5300 Series Install Guide on pg 8 to see the clustering options for the MCU 5320.  You can also take a look at this powerpoint that shows the different stackable combinations for the MCU 5300 Series, as well as port capacity for each.

As I mentioned, check the data sheets, admin guides, and online help.  A lot of the guides are meant to cover several MCU products, but the not all MCUs will have the capabilities mentioned in the guides as some are MCU specific.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: