Views
Helpful
Replies

CMS vs Hybrid media node

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I have been trying to learn and work on some video deployments.

In existing environment we have MCU's ,endpoints registration via VCS and expressway C /E set up.

For future roadmap we are looking to have spark hybrid media set up with on premise hybrid media node .

We are also looking to replace MCU's etc and move video endpoints registration to CUCM .

My question is whether we would need CMS and HMS both deployed or can we just go with Hybrid media node?

I know Hybrid media node is specifically for Spark endpoints and SIP based video endpoints,however i am looking for a better understanding of what are main differences and can HMN replace CMS.

In which scenario each should be deployed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The HMN use cases are easier to explain: it’s a local extension of CMR Cloud-hosted meetings. The meeting automatically cascades into the cloud to support remote clients that can’t reach HMN and when the on-premise node(s) capacity is exhausted. For Annuity-based WebEx sites (eg A-WX or A-SPK) this works for both Spark and WebEx meetings since they’re the same thing behind the scenes; however, only specific endpoints can leverage HMN: Spark clients, Spark-registered room systems as well as CUCM/VCS-registered endpoints can use it so long as they dial the SIP URI for the CMR meeting. The WebEx client cannot leverage HMN.

For everything else (eg ad-hoc conferencing) or if you want an entirely on-premise video conferencing solution you need to use CMS.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The HMN use cases are easier to explain: it’s a local extension of CMR Cloud-hosted meetings. The meeting automatically cascades into the cloud to support remote clients that can’t reach HMN and when the on-premise node(s) capacity is exhausted. For Annuity-based WebEx sites (eg A-WX or A-SPK) this works for both Spark and WebEx meetings since they’re the same thing behind the scenes; however, only specific endpoints can leverage HMN: Spark clients, Spark-registered room systems as well as CUCM/VCS-registered endpoints can use it so long as they dial the SIP URI for the CMR meeting. The WebEx client cannot leverage HMN.

For everything else (eg ad-hoc conferencing) or if you want an entirely on-premise video conferencing solution you need to use CMS.

Thank you Jonathan