Views
Helpful
Replies

Codec in direct mode dial h.323 alias

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Might be a silly question, 

Can a codec in direct mode dial by another than just IP address, for instance 1111@publicipofexpressway.

Isn't this technically an h.323 ID and without a gatekeeper I don't think it would resolve the SRV records.

I have someone trying to dial in that say they can only support public Ip address dialing so I am assuming they are in direct mode and currently I don't have a fallback alias configured on the expressway. Instead I want to have a transform on the expressway so they can hit the direct endpoint and not hit an Auto attendant which would be the fallback alias.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elias Sevilla Duarte
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, a standalone H323 endpoint in direct mode can dial 123@publicipofexpressway, althogh if you don´t have a fallback alias it would require the usage of a transform to pass from IP to domain.

When an external endpoint dials to your Expressway, it will hit the DefaultZone, and the "Calls to Unknown IP Address" setting if it is set to "Direct" (which is the default value), it will attempt to make a direct connection with itself, and the call will drop with a "Resource Unavailabe" message, or a "Request Timeout".

In this case, you should rather configure a transform that converts the public IP of your expressway into the SIP domain used for internal calls. I made a RegEx for you, and I attached it here, and also attached a pattern check, so you see it Works if you use the correct IP and SIP Domain of your deployment.

I hope this helps you to receive those calls without much complain from them.

View solution in original post

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Cisco endpoints operating as standalone units can dial via IP, alias@ip or alias@domain. If dialing via domain, the endpoint will perform a DNS lookup for appropriate SRV records.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Elias Sevilla Duarte
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, a standalone H323 endpoint in direct mode can dial 123@publicipofexpressway, althogh if you don´t have a fallback alias it would require the usage of a transform to pass from IP to domain.

When an external endpoint dials to your Expressway, it will hit the DefaultZone, and the "Calls to Unknown IP Address" setting if it is set to "Direct" (which is the default value), it will attempt to make a direct connection with itself, and the call will drop with a "Resource Unavailabe" message, or a "Request Timeout".

In this case, you should rather configure a transform that converts the public IP of your expressway into the SIP domain used for internal calls. I made a RegEx for you, and I attached it here, and also attached a pattern check, so you see it Works if you use the correct IP and SIP Domain of your deployment.

I hope this helps you to receive those calls without much complain from them.

I forgot to mention that you should have a search rule that routes the call to the traversal zone towards the Control, based on the SIP Domain you use in the transform you will create.

HTH.

/Elias

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Cisco endpoints operating as standalone units can dial via IP, alias@ip or alias@domain. If dialing via domain, the endpoint will perform a DNS lookup for appropriate SRV records.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: